Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Ok this is a first. I take the tile from the saw into the kitchen. Dry them off and try to hang them and this happens. Tile just falls off the mesh as I lift them.
Does it from time to time . Yes it happens when the mesh gets soaked from water . Release it self from glue .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm not installing them into the thinset even if I use my dry cutter. The moisture from the thinset may release them too. Gonna get them to get another brand. I had this happen with maybe 1 or 2 pieces in a sheet but not the whole sheet releasing from the mesh.
The thin set will grab the tile through the mesh....that's what the holes are for in the mesh. The mesh isn't structural. Put a sheet in your clinker then slash the mesh with a razor knife...callect the cheque and call it a day.

...Or drive around looking for a different brand and spritx every sheet to see if the glue comes off...

...Or be like JohnFRWhipple and scrub the glue off every tile and set them individually.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The problem is I then have to use spacers on every joint to keep the tiles in place until the thinset starts to set up. Its for the in laws so they can go get more. If I was being paid I might do it the whipple way lol
Oh fvck if it's for the in-laws it would stay that way for the next 10 years. :laughing:

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
The problem is I then have to use spacers on every joint to keep the tiles in place until the thinset starts to set up. Its for the in laws so they can go get more. If I was being paid I might do it the whipple way lol
BC, I mount all my Bliss liners on kerdi for 2 reasons, 1 is what your seeing now and 2 it allows us to build up to meet the thicker wall tiles.

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the tile or mounting. You shouldn't get the sheets wet. You remove what needs wet cutting. If the sheets droop because of thin set, use a few finishing nails to hold them.

Jaz

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MIKE ANTONETTI said:
I disagree again. The adhesive to keep the mosaics on the backing out to hold together, I think even if set under water for 5 minutes, that's ridiculous that they should separate.
I'm with you on this. I don't expect it to last 2hrs siting in a bucket but it should last long enough to take it of the saw wipe them down and install. Even the dry ones had 3-4 pieces fall of before they even got near the saw. There's no reason to use a cheap ass water based adhesive on the mesh.

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
I don't know about the glue. Maybe there's a reason to use a water base, if it is water based. Maybe solvent based glues would stain the stones or glass, or maybe react to the steel? Maybe they didn't apply enough glue? Sometimes pieces fall off regardless of the type of glue used.

I'd consider not cutting while still attached in the sheets. Makes the whole sheet wet and that takes time to dry. Just wiping does not dry the tiles between each piece.

Jaz

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JazMan said:
I don't know about the glue. Maybe there's a reason to use a water base, if it is water based. Maybe solvent based glues would stain the stones or glass, or maybe react to the steel? Maybe they didn't apply enough glue? Sometimes pieces fall off regardless of the type of glue used. I'd consider not cutting while still attached in the sheets. Makes the whole sheet wet and that takes time to dry. Just wiping does not dry the tiles between each piece. Jaz
The problem is there's no reason why they should release. I have left mosaics on mesh in buckets to soak to remove thinset and they never released. yeah 1 or 2 here and there on sheets but not 99% of them. its def not "normal" even paper faced sheets don't release that easy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This is a manufacturing issue. 90% of the setters fixing these will use a wet saw to cut glass and stone mosaic. The advise that you should take pieces off the mesh to make a strait line cut to go against the schluter edge (see pic) is ludicrous.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Is there a spec. Written for type of adhesive, bond strength? I can't find my pics but have had similar issues, I haven't called NTCA about it, I'm sure they're aware of the problem along with other DIY bs you see filtering thru the box stores.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Mike if you remember the issue with the glass mosaic that was delaminating in wet areas in 09-10 was an adhesive issue. I believe that ANSI now has spec for it but I dont care enough to look for it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I just found these forums only couple years ago.
So the backing system is defective, most likely, not much more room to bond, with water on backing and partially drying it bonds even less.
So I guess first thing find out how well backing is bonded by wetting it. BC better you found out first thing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.