Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The customer is installing these Viega climate panels through out the entire house. As per Viega they only call for CBU over their system. A couple years ago I did work with a couple other guys that did this system with 1/4" Hardi and it has held up fine. The one floor was 1200 feet. I have about 600 feet to do and was going to use 1/2" permabase. So i was thinking what about a crack isolation membrane or Ditra. Just for my own curiosity I called schluter and they dont warrant Ditra directly over it.

http://www.viega.us/7119.htm

I cant really seem to find a definitive answer on whats best over this kind of heated floor. Any ideas and suggestions? thanks

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
We did a 1/2" Hardi over Thermal Trac which looks similar but is an MDF base.

MDF is inert and doesn't react the same way as wood does to fluctuations in concentrated heat like that.

No cracks.

PS: pressure test the system before you run the tile, but you probably already know that.

How's that for a non-answer?

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I'm doing this in my house right now. I'm using 1/4" hardiebacker over the climate panel. I wouldn't put thin set directly on the tubing. Too risky.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
1/4 CBU. Put some 6mil poly down and trace out the PEX tubes. Lay the CBU and place poly over before screwing down so you have a map to the tubes.

Since the heated floor can alter the floor temp quickly, I think a crack isolation solution is best. Probably NobleSeal as it's one of the thinnest.

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to use thinset under the cbu.

Yeah screws can blast through 1/4" if your not careful. The senco gun does a good job sinking them and keeping them flush

1 - 12 of 12 Posts