Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,

I am looking to expand my horizon and want to get into home building. I have been in the Tile trade for the last 15 years and looking to change the pace a bit.

Do you guys have any pointers, go bys or books. What are the requirements to starting a home building company?

To date I am pretty fortunate and successful at tile work. We capped at 210k last year and our work deals mainly with custom homes in the 290k to 700k homes. I deal mainly with the labor aspects only. The builder/general does all the material purchase and pickup. All the people we worked with have been very good as agreeing to those terms.

I finally acquired some land. I plan on opening/building a commercial storefront on a 3 ac track. I also aquired a couple of 1 ac. lots in a residential area. I am very serious about getting into this profession but have yet got the go bys or direction.

Any help is greatly appriecated.

Sincerely,

TheTileGuy

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
That's a big leap from tile to GC. I suppose that you are working on your GC license?

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
You sound like you've already got the business skills. You might seek some advice from a good construction management firm for a while until you get your feet wet.

You should have the applicable codes books for your area, as well as planning board regulations, zoning regulations and cost estimating books.

If you're interested in the engineering aspects of construction, books would include ACI 318-05, ASCE 7-02, NDS, AITC Timber Construction Manual, AISC Manual of Steel Construction. I would recommend good books on soil mechanics, foundation engineering, and construction management.

If you have other areas of interest in construction, PM me and I'll help you out the best I can with titles, authors, and publishers. I have a large library right in front of me, so it's easy for me to help you. Don't feel like you are imposing.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The tile business is a family owned business that my Father and I started back in 1995. We used to work for a tile company but he got unreliable with this women problems.

Both of us want to get into home building. I worked thru college doing tile work and as a Best Buy sales consultant. Gradutated in Construction Science from the University of Oklahoma. I am currently working as a Industrial Project Manager for a Company in Tulsa, OK.

As we all know working for someone is very limiting. I don't mind the long hours and hard work but being on salary you start working for pennies soon.

TheTileGuy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome aboard. I made my bundle in California and bailed out to Oregon for a new life. I'm now going back into the haarness, as I have a new Son-In-Law who wants to learn the trade. To give my daughter the best (financial) life possible, I'm starting him in Cabinets and wood finishing. We will work backward to the basics, foundation, framing, plumbing, a brief exposure to insulation and drywall and painting. My goal is to give him a well rounded background. As a GC you can make a nice living, but for the bells and whisles, spec. building is the only way to go. Therefore, he will learn real estate laws and practises, financing and sales.
He has problems understanding why I won't take on small projects. But if I do then we would be known as "handimen" which would be the kiss of death.
The one skill which will come only with time is knowing which jobs to send down the road. That is the one thing I wish I could fast forward.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
anhandrew said:
I am looking to expand my horizon and want to get into home building. I finally acquired some land. I plan on opening/building a commercial storefront on a 3 ac track. I also aquired a couple of 1 ac. lots in a residential area.
From what I can see, land development and building are distinctly different animals with their own unique challenges. It seems to me much harder to nail down development costs than it does building costs. It also seems to me that the risks attendant to land development bring with them potentially higher profit margins than that of building. Again, all my comments are founded in anecdotal evidence not first handexperience.

The most succesful guys I know started as builders and grew into builder/developers. In fact, one of my customers sold his building division to a major national builder and now focuses exclusively on land development. There might be something said for focusing on one or the other while you're in a learning curve.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hmmmmm. I'm wondering if I can go and suffer in one of these other states, get my GC and transfer it to here. Just curious,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not looking into land development. I am looking more into becoming a home builder. I like to get into the business and learn. The land I have purchase are all developed. They are ready for building.

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts