Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
The hits keep on coming.

The clamping drain (with no liner... caked with silicone...)

Tuesday surprise....a water bottle of piss tucked away for posterity under the shower bench.

Inside the water closet... left side... right side...
Send it to the lab and have it drug tested.

At least it was #1. :rolleyes:

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
The hits keep on coming.

The clamping drain (with no liner... caked with silicone...)

Tuesday surprise....a water bottle of piss tucked away for posterity under the shower bench.

Inside the water closet... left side... right side...
How did you know it was piss and not apple juice? haha. I wouldn't want to even open a bottle to find out.

So they would have been better off with a vinyl pan instead of what they attempted to do, I don't see any membrane, fabric, or waterproofing anywhere.

What a joke.

Good luck and looking forward to when it's done right. I know you will document it well.

·
design build
106 Posts
I would love to know if the homeowner went with the lowest bid when it was originally done. If so, what do they think of that concept about now.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Sorry for the slow update. Here are photos of the finished re-remodel.

Attachments

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
A few more...

Attachments

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
We took the opportunity to make some improvements to the bath during the repairs. We replaced the vanity (custom built to utilize the original marble counter), added tile above the wainscot over the vanity, and also added a wall covering.

The original design was by Matt Harris, and he also designed the improvements the second time around.

The new floor tile is a premium grade thasos, with a marble & thasos accent. We kept the existing wainscot (you'll see it's got some lipage issues, but they wanted it kept)--but applied a new base molding over it to hide the gap at the floor. This kept us from having to match the original floor height.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
If you look at the original photos of the steam shower (page 1), you'll notice the outside corner walls were completely glass. During demolition, we discovered a major structural issue in the ceiling above the shower. We were forced to build a wall section at the corner to support some roof load--which was the cause of the ceiling slope issues.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Like always great job Chris!:thumbsup: I just wonder why you have base outside of the shower enclosure under the curb...just to make consistent look?

Second look, hard to tell if the base is ceramic or high gloss painted wood..picture 4 at #131

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Like always great job Chris!:thumbsup: I just wonder why you have base outside of the shower enclosure under the curb...just to make consistent look?

Second look, hard to tell if the base is ceramic or high gloss painted wood..picture 4 at #131
The base tile does run around the entire room, including across the shower curb. You're correct, it was just for consistency.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Most customers just aren't qualified to distinguish great or exceptional work from crap with window dressing, yet they think they can. And even when you do provide top-shelf work, they're hard-wired to try and find a better deal the next time around. Then they learn the hard way...all over again.

I did work for a woman for a couple rental properties for several years. All was great, and she never had a problem that wasn't addressed pronto at a fair price. But she got tempted by a painter who had a cousin that did bathroom work and could give her a "good deal". Turned out they didn't know how to hook up a tub drain and the kitchen was right below. To make it even better, the tenants didn't think the leak was a big deal so they waited for a few months to let her know. Oops.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts