Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a long shot, but can someone identify this tile simply by looking at it? Porcelain? Ceramic?

I had to drill about three holes per letter. I used a 3/16" Ridgid diamond hole saw with water but I went through two bits and it took forever. Would love to know if there's an easier way to drill this type of tile.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Looks like porcelain, small holes, vertical drilling, it really really sucks no matter which way you slice it.

Personally I like the Lennox bits because they have a really thin kerf and cut fast, but let them go dry and they are garbage...keep them wet and cold and they last a really long time.

Drill through a wet sponge and have someone spray water.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like porcelain, small holes, vertical drilling, it really really sucks no matter which way you slice it.

Personally I like the Lennox bits because they have a really thin kerf and cut fast, but let them go dry and they are garbage...keep them wet and cold and they last a really long time.

Drill through a wet sponge and have someone spray water.
My method was a little more crude.... Probably why it didn't go too fast.

I think it was mentioned in another thread.... Drilling through the sponge.... Do you literally drill through a wet sponge?

Next time you have shower glass installed, watch those guys. They've got some good/fast methods.
Seems like that would be a good source. Any of those on this forum?

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing some boys drilling easily through tile but they all seem to be overseas companies.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My method was a little more crude.... Probably why it didn't go too fast.

I think it was mentioned in another thread.... Drilling through the sponge.... Do you literally drill through a wet sponge?

Seems like that would be a good source. Any of those on this forum?

There are a couple of videos on YouTube showing some boys drilling easily through tile but they all seem to be overseas companies.
Technically I rip off a corner of the sponge, ram it in the end of the bit, soak it, hold another wet sponge against the top and squeeze. Have your helper hold another one to catch the drip underneath.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont know about drilling all those holes, I would have just used an epoxy.
Customer spec'd stud-mounting. Otherwise I would have used VHB tape and silicone...not epoxy.

Technically I rip off a corner of the sponge, ram it in the end of the bit, soak it, hold another wet sponge against the top and squeeze. Have your helper hold another one to catch the drip underneath.
Gotchya. Unfortunately I'm a one man show, so I'd have to get creative. Sounds like a job for Gorilla tape.

My crude method was a series of stacked V-shaped pieces of Gorilla tape with a small gap at the bottoms. I added dish soap to a spray bottle water to thicken it up a little so would drip slower down the wall. Then I sprayed a bunch above the highest ''V'' so it would gradually drip down on the bit.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I use a clear condiment bottle to drip water on the bit. I picked up a dozen of them cheap off the net. I use them for pen turning and have found they come in handy. I'll tape a towel a few inches down from the hole on the wall to catch the drips.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I think you did pretty good only using 2 bits for the whole thing. I use a spray bottle with water and a little bit of soap so it does not bead up so much. I use blue tape on the wall below and make a deflector for the water runoff to go into a bucket on the floor. I use 1/4" diamond core bits bought in bulk I think $4 each

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I have done lots of drilling in porcelain for glass, accessories, etc. Diamond hole saws are the only way to go, well, that's the only thing I have found to work. As mentioned, water is key. I think you did pretty good as well using 2 for that many holes!
Did you allow for the extra expense of bits when you quoted the job? I didn't for years...it was one of those "consumable" items! If it's required on a standard bathroom job I usually price in half the cost of a bit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I was subscribed to this if any new responses were posted...looks like I missed a few. Thanks to those that responded.

I use a clear condiment bottle to drip water on the bit. I picked up a dozen of them cheap off the net. I use them for pen turning and have found they come in handy. I'll tape a towel a few inches down from the hole on the wall to catch the drips.
Not a bad idea, thanks for the tip!

I think you did pretty good only using 2 bits for the whole thing. I use a spray bottle with water and a little bit of soap so it does not bead up so much. I use blue tape on the wall below and make a deflector for the water runoff to go into a bucket on the floor. I use 1/4" diamond core bits bought in bulk I think $4 each
Not bad...I paid about $15 a piece for the bits I bought. Where do you get them in bulk? I'd rather stock up on them than have to make multiple trips in the future.

I have done lots of drilling in porcelain for glass, accessories, etc. Diamond hole saws are the only way to go, well, that's the only thing I have found to work. As mentioned, water is key. I think you did pretty good as well using 2 for that many holes!
Did you allow for the extra expense of bits when you quoted the job? I didn't for years...it was one of those "consumable" items! If it's required on a standard bathroom job I usually price in half the cost of a bit.
Yeah, I covered the cost of the bits in the quote. Consumables like silicone, VHB tape, masking/duct/Gorilla tape, etc. I don't charge for. But if it's a specialty item that I likely won't use again (ie: the 12" long 3/16" SDS bit I bought a few weeks back) I'll build that into the invoice.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I buy the 1/4" bits from E-bay---shipped from Hong Kong--about $1.50 each in lots of 10----buy a bunch at that cost--they look to be the same ones sold at the Depot for about $12 each

1 - 13 of 13 Posts