Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had tile floors installed in a home that i remodled about 18 months ago,
now they are makeing popping sounds when you step on them.
it started in the high traffic areas and is spreading.The sub contracter that installed them used some sort of cement like product instead of a cement board. Can anyone tell me what is going on?:furious: I thought they where a 100 year floor.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
I had tile floors installed in my home about 18 months ago,
it started in the high traffic areas and is spreading.The person that installed them used some sort of cement like product instead of a cement board. Can anyone tell me what is going on?:furious: I thought they where a 100 year floor.
You are probably going to be sent to diytalk soon so I will let you know this.

If you have concrete subfloors backerboard wasn't needed. If you have wood subfloors your tile was installed improperly and will need to be removed and redone.

It sounds like your installer used thinset on the floor and didn't get good adhesion and the tiles are unlevel. This will cause the grout to pop and tiles to break when walked on.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
Woodworker - an intro would be nice in the proper area --- do you make cabinets, install them, finish trim, etc... I think that was part of the quick intro email you should have gotten

Improper install - plain & simple, it has to go, problems corrected & fixed (wood subflooring? floor deflection)

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Im not sure why you guess are giving him any slack.

We have rules here right?

For starters, an Intro. is in order.

Secondly, he is a one post wonder.

Thirdly, I have already googled his phone #, and it leads to a HO residence.

Just because a HO, has a few tools in his shop, and calls himself a woodworker, doesn't mean he belongs on this forum.

If I'm wrong set me straight, But the no introduction thing gets about as old as the pricing questions.

You guys said it yourself, "its a fine line". Who's drawing the line?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have owned my own buisness for 19 years now, and have just started contracting 3 years ago. I make custom cabinets myself and install them, and do trim too.I am not a big business. So i do not have a seperate phone line.I am also new to computers so i don't know about all your little rules.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Dude, lighten up.. When did you become a site moderator? Press the red button and move on....
Not a mod, nor care to be, just stating the obvious.
The intro section is right below, the general discussion section.

But yet, it seems soo hard to find. :whistling

I've been eating light lately, soo actually I am lightening up. :clap:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
I am also new to computers so i don't know about all your little rules.
Not trying to single out anyone individual, But did you read the terms and conditions, or your e-mail confirmations.
It explains the rules and recommends an intro. before you can continue.

Guess to many people don't read the fine print, just sign on the line, and worry about details later.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Not trying to single out anyone individual, But did you read the terms and conditions, or your e-mail confirmations.
It explains the rules and recommends an intro. before you can continue.

Guess to many people don't read the fine print, just sign on the line, and worry about details later.
1st. Site recommends and intro, it doesn't demand one.
2nd. This guy asked a question that was relevent and wasn't about price or asking for installation instructions.
3rd. There are no site rules that state we must be rude, cruel, or mean to any newbe that ask a non pricing or installation instruction related question.
4th. You don't have enough post to become one of the site Nazi's. This guy could be a woodworker/cabinetmaker and we wouldn't want him run off the site for asking a trade related question.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
it started in the high traffic areas and is spreading.The sub contracter that installed them used some sort of cement like product instead of a cement board. Can anyone tell me what is going on?:furious: I thought they where a 100 year floor.
Not nearly enough info to guess what's happening.

What is the subfloor material? Was deflection taken into account? What is a "cement like product"?

What I can tell you, a "popping sound" is not good. Chances are it was not a tile person who did the install.....or a hack. Either way, this story most likely does not have a happy ending. :no:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
I am a big man, and I have big shoulders.

I appoligize, carry on how you see fit.

I think you all are reading way to deep, into my posts.

But maybe its just me.

Who cares, I have work to go do. :thumbsup:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
Can you describe the material and installation a little more? Without naming names, who installed the tile for you? Was it a tile/flooring company? A general service handyman? Subcontractor for you or for your general contractor?

It sounds like more than just a minor installation flaw if the tiles are making noises when you walk on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When the tile guy installed the floor it was on the 3/4"plywood subfloor, he stated that the thinset was all that was needed.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
4th. You don't have enough post to become one of the site Nazi's.
Thanks for informing me of the bottom, line.
Last I checked post count has nothing to do with accrediability, or professionalism.

But I am taking notes, trying to keep up. :thumbsup:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
When the tile guy installed the floor it was on the 3/4"plywood subfloor, he stated that the thinset was all that was needed.

BINGO!!!!

Install was done incorrectly and with this guy's "knowledge", I wouldn't expect anything to get better.

There are prerequisites to tiling. You don't just slap down some thinset and call it a day.

Sounds like a fight is about to break out between whomever contracted this guy (GC) and his dumbass. Save yourself some trouble and if you subbed him, go here and order the handbook for a measly $10:
http://www.tileusa.com/publication_main.htm

It will be all the defense you need to PROVE he installed incorrectly.

Good luck!

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
Your tile guy doesn't know what he's doing and your tile will very likely start to fail in short order, as it sounds like it's already started to.

Unfortunately, there's no easy fix short of tearing it all out and starting over. Tile should never be installed to a wood substrate, let alone directly to the subfloor.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Since it was a remodel I assume he didn't replace the 3/4" ply subfloor.

We must then assume he didn't insure the 3/4 ply was screwed down the insure it was tight.

We know he didn't install backerboard.

We know it was an improper installation and this is where the probelm is.

Remove tile, make sure the subfloor is screwed down and the support system (joist & bracing) is strong enough to handle tile. Then hire a real tile guy to reinstall.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts