Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm laying tile on concrete floor in bathroom. It had peel and stick vinyl squares in it. What's left is the residual glue. Real thin and really sticky. Do I need to get that up or will the thinset adhere ok? I tried getting it up but it's very difficult

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
I'm laying tile on concrete floor in bathroom. It had peel and stick vinyl squares in it. What's left is the residual glue. Real thin and really sticky. Do I need to get that up or will the thinset adhere ok? I tried getting it up but it's very difficult
I'm sure tile guys will tell you best way to do that, but in the mean time my tile guy used Laticrete-272 Thinset with 333-Latex additive in the same situation and it wasn't any issues, as a matter a fact, last year I was at that customers house for another issue, and we did that tile job in the kitchen 4 years prior to that, and that floor looks good as new.

Good luck

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
if its harder to take off than say, thinset would be, then its the idea situation, I figure,
since thinset needs to stick to the substrate, if the substrate is sticky, it should adhere better,
always IMO. but, you can always call the rep from whatever thinset you decide to use and ask them,

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think it should have been ground off the floor. Thinset manufacturer would tell you proper prep. It's an acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive, better than other types I guess, this will become a common question as much of the adhesive use is increasing of the pressure sensitive (PSA ) . PSA (carpet tile, LVP/T, fiberglass backed roll vinyl)is not compatible with latex adhesive( glue down roll carpet). We've removed one LVT and ceramic tiled it but grinded residue to expose new concrete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts