Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got started up on this job today. I'll be replacing a Tile floor due to a substandard toilet installation that leaked, damaging the subfloor etc... The builder used plastic closet bolts and a wax ring with no plastic collar :blink:
I'll have some more on the job updates :rockon:

Attachments

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
The builder used plastic closet bolts and a wax ring with no plastic collar :blink:
Probably saved a fortune too :whistling

You know all those dollar bills add up!

Looks like the flange is set to low in conjunction with the tile height from what I can see.

Are you planning on raising the flange, adding an extension, or doubling up the wax rings? ;)

:sad:

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A second wax ring or a simple fernco ring could have saved a lot of probems...
The floor height will be lowered. I'm removing the tile and backerboard and installing Noble Seal TS with Noble EXT so the reduction in height should almost even up the tile with the flange :clap:
I will be making tile baseboard to cover the old footprint and most likely a little patching around the countertop area so the customer can touch up with paint.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
I've heard plumber swear by plastic toilet bolts.
Really?
My brothers a licensed plumber, and has been doing only new construction installs for more than 10 years, plumbing for more than 20 years.

I can't wait to share this info with him, and let him know what he's been missing!
I bet he'll give me one of these looks :blink:

A set of brass toilet bolts are only about $1

I can't imagine using plastic bolts on something that gets as much use, or pressure applied to it daily.

Chinese plastic none the less :laughing:

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
As soon as I get the sub floor up, I will decide on what I'm doing with the flange and I also have some Dal Sealant 150 + HydroBan in stock :clap:
Has the DalSealant gotten crazy expensive for you too? I think it's over $20/tube now :blink:

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
skillman said:
How is the plywood under or by edge of tub. Did water get there to.
The floor at the shower skirt is good. The whole subfloor is very solid (2x12 on 16" centers). I will be blocking in the section that I cut out and replacing with cdx plywood.

Eric from Noble Company cleared the use of Noble EXT over top of OSB plywood with the Noble Seal TS. I'll be setting the tile with Laticrete 272/333 Admix.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts