Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for a glass shop and we install custom shower doors in our customers homes. Lately we have been coming up against some tough tile and are having a hard time drilling thru it. We have tried wet and dry drill bits but there doesn't seem to be anything that works real well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good drill bit?
Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I've used carbide tipped and ordinary steel twist drill bits, they both go right through tile. I'm not sure if I was drilling through ceramic or porcelain tile though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've used carbide tipped and ordinary steel twist drill bits, they both go right through tile. I'm not sure if I was drilling through ceramic or porcelain tile though.
That won't touch hard italian porcelain. Diamond hole saw, grout sponge and a spray bottle of water.

Reactions: EMINNYS

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Diamond hole saws. As Inner said, drill through a wet grout sponge for cooling. The larger saws I pack with ice.

Tom

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
CRL used to sell some really great carbide tipped bits. They went through anything. Of course, with CRL, once they know it works, they get rid of it. :whistling

These days, I use a mix of the small diamond hole saws and masonry bits. With water of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts