Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my countertops in the kitchen and I donot want to use laminate. I am think of using tile since I have a few tiling jobs under my belt. Can someone recommand a type tile or does it matter. Basically what I am asking, is ceramic ok to use on a countertop or do I want to use something higher quality. Also can I use any floor or wall tile or do they make tiles specificly for countertops?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Instead of wrapping the edges with bullnose you can use chair rail tiles for a really nice final look also.
It is really a nice look.

You can also use granite tiles which is still pretty popular around here, however you will have to grind the edges if you want them bull nosed,
Check out a product called Benissimo. Granite tiles with a pre manufactured edge.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
kpikul said:
Also can I use any floor or wall tile or do they make tiles specificly for countertops?

Wall tiles are too 'soft' for a countertop, - - they do make tiles for countertops, - - they're 'hard' like floor tiles. Using wall tiles on your countertop is too much of a risk, - - first time you drop a glass or something you'll be in for a major repair. Check your local tile store for beautiful choices of countertop tiles.

It's all a matter of taste, - - personally I like the 6" tiles for countertops, - - boils down to how many 'lines' you want to see.

I like to match the grout color to the tile, - - it eliminates that 'checkerboard' look, - - but light grout colors can and will be a headache to keep up with. Keep in mind that grout always seems to come out lighter-colored than the sample, - - I always pick a few shades 'darker' to achieve what I want, - - do a 'test-ball' first.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I would go with the granite tiles. Sharp Sharp look without the slab price.

When i seen your post I was going to say Ask mike finley. But he already posted. :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Tile is great and has been use here since the turn of the century. You have to keep the grout sealed, but other than that, it's the perfect countertop.
I like to cook and there are few surfaces that will accept pans that just got done blackening grouper but tile will. I like minimal grout lines, about 1/16".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts