house? I understand they secure the tile with a polyfoam that is supposed
to insulate the house.

Any thoughts?

Kathy

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My wife was named Kathi.
Dark tile will absorb light and heat, light tile does the opposite with the exception that it will reflect both to a different location such as the walls or roof.
I have never heard of securing tile with foam and if it is done the volume (thickness) would not be enough to add much energy efficiency.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Teetorbilt said:
My wife was named Kathi.
Dark tile will absorb light and heat, light tile does the opposite with the exception that it will reflect both to a different location such as the walls or roof.
I have never heard of securing tile with foam and if it is done the volume (thickness) would not be enough to add much energy efficiency.

That is what I thought. So a dark red on the roof would make the house hotter inside during the summer. I may go with a lighter color with some additional flash for a color blend, to reflect the sun.

Foam is really an adhesive I guess.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The foam adhesive is not a solid layer. It goes down in "rows". It's becoming the craze on large jobs. If you are well vented the hotter roof won't matter that much....melts snow quicker in the winter.
Jim

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I think it was GAF who did a study a few years back. They did a test to see the real difference in temprature between white and black. This is all coming out of my memory but:

Black shingles vs WHite shingles have a surface (roof top) variance of 30 degrees.
Inside the attic... there was only a two degree difference between white vs black.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grumpy said:
I think it was GAF who did a study a few years back. They did a test to see the real difference in temprature between white and black. This is all coming out of my memory but:

Black shingles vs WHite shingles have a surface (roof top) variance of 30 degrees.
Inside the attic... there was only a two degree difference between white vs black.

That is intersting. As you can imagine in South Florida the surface tempreature can get guite hot. I did choose a lighter shade of tile vs. the dark red shades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts