Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever messed with this species. Not sure yet what the real name is but if you guys know something about this let me know, Thanks. And if not Ill let yall know as this deal progresses.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
golfer, yeah?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
adams, looking to get kicked off before you are actually on?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yep. Going to show some samples of it tomorrow. Nice stuff. It is real wood and they really do call it Tiger Wood because it is dark orange with black stripes. Pretty hard stuff. Makes a nice floor and is a good alternative to the normal domestic hardwoods.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Donedat said:
Yep. Going to show some samples of it tomorrow. Nice stuff. It is real wood and they really do call it Tiger Wood because it is dark orange with black stripes. Pretty hard stuff. Makes a nice floor and is a good alternative to the normal domestic hardwoods.
thanks. have any tips on sanding and finishing or is about like anything else.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Pretty much like sanding Maple. I'm pretty sure it is harder than Maple. Your Galaxy should do fine on it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I might add that with any exotic wood, good dust masks and even goggles are important. The oils from the exotic woods can cause resperatory sensitivity for some people.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sorry adams, I've been in the exotic wood business for a long time, took it over from my father in '73. I'd like to see a plank just to determine what it really is. I have many toys here plus DNA take out.

I noticed that many of the boards were put down upside down, any reason for that?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Teetorbilt said:
Sorry adams, I've been in the exotic wood business for a long time, took it over from my father in '73. I'd like to see a plank just to determine what it really is. I have many toys here plus DNA take out.

I noticed that many of the boards were put down upside down, any reason for that?
I can send you a plank. Maybe a pic might due. I think it is some kind of exotic mesquite or something of that nature.

dude its early for me but you totally lost me about the boards being upside down.......What the heck are you even talking about?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Donedat said:
I might add that with any exotic wood, good dust masks and even goggles are important. The oils from the exotic woods can cause resperatory sensitivity for some people.

thanks man. Ill let you know how it goes. I bet you love to sand Santos Mahogany.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you have to be carefull finishing some of these exotics because of the oil in these woods.we use water based poly or use sealcoat for our sealer when using oil based poly. justin

·
Registered
274 Posts
adams said:
anyone ever messed with this species. Not sure yet what the real name is but if you guys know something about this let me know, Thanks. And if not Ill let yall know as this deal progresses.
I helped a friend install some in his kitchen and dining room. It really looks good. It was pre-finished so we didn't have to go there.

Rich

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've never been a big fan of Tiger Wood. Don't care for the look of it. The striping just looks goofy to me. However, I suspect there is something going on with the stuff they sell as Tiger Wood for hardwood floors because it looks nothing like the Tiger Wood I see for decks. It is a prettty hard wood though, about 2 times the hardness of Red Oak, but not as hard as Ipe. I can get Ipe as cheap as Tiger wood, so I presonally don't see any reason to use it. I like Ipe better. I think I would choose Massaranduba over Tiger wood myself if I was looking for an alternative to Ipe, but this is all in regard to decks not hardwood floors.

Anybody know what the deal is with Tigerwood Hardwood floors? Is it really Tiger Wood?

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I Know Exactly What Your Talking About. I Seen This Old House When They Were In Hawaii Many Years Ago. Norm Went To Have A Special Piece Of Furniture Can't Remember What Made And Went To A Custom Shop And They Made It Out Of Tiger And It Was Big Money Wood.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well we started sanding but we pulled off because the A/C isn't on yet and the rep said minimum of one week after the air is on before the floor can be done. It is really nice, sands down easy so I think everything will go smooth. Its not very oily like Austraillion Cypress, it seems to be pretty dry.

·
Registered
375 Posts
adams said:
well we started sanding but we pulled off because the A/C isn't on yet and the rep said minimum of one week after the air is on before the floor can be done. It is really nice, sands down easy so I think everything will go smooth. Its not very oily like Austraillion Cypress, it seems to be pretty dry.
Yeah, most of those imports are dry. Have to be careful nailing it down. Nails have to be spaced a little farther apart than normal...like 12 inches instead of 8 or 10.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My customer didn't go with the Tiger Wood. They thought of Brazillian Oak or Jatoba or even Ipe. Nope none of the above. They chose Select Red Oak with a brown stain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts