Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here. Been reading some posts for a while, finally decided to register. My question is :I've seen some mention of a tool Tiger Claw offers for use with their fasteners. No one really has said whether it's worth the money, $150 the girl said but they were out of stock. I was also thinking about the Tebo system but don't know anyone who has used them. How about some info, pro and con. Thanks! BDM :notworthy

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The only information regarding the Tiger Jaw I've seen on this board is in this thread...

Regarding your intro, this is the Introductions sub-forum. Click on the green button labeled "New Topic" and start a thread introducing yourself and your business...

Mac

·
109 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here. Been reading some posts for a while, finally decided to register. My question is :I've seen some mention of a tool Tiger Claw offers for use with their fasteners. No one really has said whether it's worth the money, $150 the girl said but they were out of stock. I was also thinking about the Tebo system but don't know anyone who has used them. How about some info, pro and con. Thanks! BDM :notworthy
Hey BDM,

Welcome,

You are in luck. Both Tiger Claw and Tebo are very close to your location. Call them and get a demo on your jobsite.
For the Tiger Jaw call me 860 984-9033 or e mail [email protected]

Have a great day. I will talk to you later.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure which tool you're talking about so I will reference both:

Tiger Jaw Tool-
Pros - Simple, easy, can do while standing which saves on back pain. Also when using a sledgehammer you will sometimes deface the side of the decking board. This Tiger Claw prevents that from happening.

Cons - Initial Cost

Tiger Claw Air Powered Gun
Pros - Going to install fasteners about 2x faster with gun (works with Tiger Claw and CONCEALoc hidden fasteners). You get this fast once you get the hang of using the gun.

Cons - Initial up front cost of gun (unless you got it free when they first launched the product...hehe...I got one back then)

I would only buy the gun IF you plan on giving all of your future deck customers an option of having hidden deck fasteners installed. If you are doing just one custom job that you don't plan on repeating do not buy the gun.

Tebo fasteners
Pros - All other hidden fasteners require multiple steps to attach the fasteners. The Tebo Decker operates like a hard wood-flooring tool. One strike of the mallet and the Tebo is installed.

Pros - Should take less time to install

Cons - From everything I've read I can't see where the Tebo (or SPotNails?) connectors are connected to the floor joists? It just seems to be a 3 pronged staple that connects the boards together. Am I missing something? Never heard of these guys until you asked the question. Looks cheap and not carried by any big companies.

One tip - all hidden deck fasteners like perfect spacing between all of your deck boards so make sure the wall you start from is straight.

Reactions: ghhartmann

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tiger Jaw Deck Tool

I asked a while back here about Tiger Claw's Tiger Jaw Deck Tool. I finally got one. It cost me $150.00 delivered. It's made out of heavy gauge steel, it should last for use on numerous decks. After useing it for a few minutes we got a system down and it worked pretty darn good. One guy operateing the tool while another installed the fastener. We installed more decking in less time than I was planning on. It does pay for itself in a couple of hours. :thumbup: I went to the link above and the picture shows springs on it??? Mine has no springs??? Are there more then one style available? What are the springs for? -ronnie arnello

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tiger jaw tool

Thanks for the info deckman and ron, I called and got a jaw tool and used it on two decks already, it took me a couple of rows to get the hand of it but it really sped up the install. It seems like it should last for years, even thought some of the paint is scraping off the sides from rubbing pieces. another area contractor I know was installing some tebo fasteners he got from spotnails. The prongs were bending from hitting it with a hammer so he asked if my new tool would work? We tried it and it worked smoother than a hammer, we didn't bend anymore of the prongs. I like the tiger claw tc3 fasteners myself but always hated the damn hammer! If you like or use tiger claw fasteners this tool is worth every penny - sure beats smashing the crap out of a 2 X 4 witha hammer! -BDM

·
109 Posts
I asked a while back here about Tiger Claw's Tiger Jaw Deck Tool. I finally got one. It cost me $150.00 delivered. It's made out of heavy gauge steel, it should last for use on numerous decks. After useing it for a few minutes we got a system down and it worked pretty darn good. One guy operateing the tool while another installed the fastener. We installed more decking in less time than I was planning on. It does pay for itself in a couple of hours. :thumbup: I went to the link above and the picture shows springs on it??? Mine has no springs??? Are there more then one style available? What are the springs for? -ronnie arnello
OK here is the deal on the springs.

The first 20 TC-Jaw had springs. They were to help keep the handle and jaw perpendicular. The only reason for this was to make it easier to lift the tool from between the boards. If you look closely you will see that the hinge was at one end of the tool.

By moving the pivot point towards the center of the jaw it made the tool easier to lift without having to use the springs. It makes little difference in the performance of the tool.

This is a new tool. You guys are among the first to get this tool. So far I like the feedback I am seeing on CT.com

I am sure you all have experienced buying a new tool and being disappointed. It takes a lot of faith to go lay down $150 for a tool that nobody has tried out yet. I really appreciate you guys having that faith and buying our products and putting them to the test as soon as they come out.

Thank you to all of you for that.

You know how to get in touch with me if you have any concerns I can help with.

Greg 860 984-9033
[email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks greg

This sure beats the crap out using a sledgehammer. I did the last deck with it in about 1/3 of the time. Where was this tool 2 years ago. I chose not to use your fasteners previously, which cost me a couple of jobs. I'm stuck on yours fasteners now. Thanks for the spring info. - BDM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts