Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read a old finehomebuilding mag that had a article about using a stick to transfer measurements to piece if cardboard and then you transfer that to your work piece.

The example was a bow window . Does this really work? Of course I can't find the mag and would like to try it out next week. I think the author said boat builders used it when building wood boats.

The name may be wrong to. Going off what I remember.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeah can't accidentally read your marks an inch short or whatever. Woodworkers use it a lot. Prevents measuring errors and having to pull your tape out for every cut. Also makes things more precise, less chance of being slightly off the mark on identical measurements.

Reactions: Gary H

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Glad you brought this up, I was thinking about that same article a while back trying to remember what it was called and how it's done...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always wanted to try it. And of all of the construction books I got this is the only reference I ever seen of this method. I will be sure to get picks and report back how this method worked out.

I thought of using lath and hot glueing the pieces together like the solid surface installers do. But this method of the story pole elinates the need for the glue gun.

·
GC/carpenter
43,916 Posts
keith mathewson said:
Ticking is NOT the same thing as a storypole. Storypoles are used to layout linear diamentions and ticking is used to transfer irregular diamentions to a piece of material to be cut to fit.
I realized that after he posted that article, we use story poles for siding, and elevations.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,114 Posts
I always wanted to try it. And of all of the construction books I got this is the only reference I ever seen of this method. I will be sure to get picks and report back how this method worked out.

I thought of using lath and hot glueing the pieces together like the solid surface installers do. But this method of the story pole elinates the need for the glue gun.
I think the tic stick works well for doing something like fitting doors to an opening in old buildings. It's slower than taking cardboard or building paper and just taping together a template on a floor.

Accurate marking and alignment is fairly critical.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Tick sticking is definitely not the same as a story pole.

I have done it a bunch of times, usually when installing a continuous countertop into an existing bay window or some other unusually shaped area.

Very simple to do and works everytime

1 - 12 of 12 Posts