Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember reading that here on CT a few years ago. Have taken that advice many times since & it's time once again to throw money at a couple bottlenecks.

Been a crazy busy year, which means no time to spend the profits. To the point I was told this week, better spend some money or pay the Govt come tax season.

We've started marketing & self promoting the cabinet/woodworking side of our business & it's paying off. The last several jobs, have had 50 plus doors per kitchen. A couple of my bottlenecks have been a shortage of clamps on the big jobs. And I've got a lot of clamps. Every time I start glueing up door parts or doors, I seem to have to clean off a bench. Time waster.

We also do a lot of edge gluing of solid wood, whether that be for stair treads, skirt boards, or cabinet door panels. So here's my solutions.

First is a door squaring clamp
Applying glue to rail & stiles is also a time sink unless there's 2 of us. So I'm going to add this glue applier to our herd.

To solve our edge gluing bottlenecks, I'm going to add this clamp station.

Still want to add a face frame table, but that's gonna have to wait till the next big cabinet job to pay for it.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My answer to applying edgebanding on cabinet shelves has been a clothes iron. I don't do enough edge banding to warrant an automated edge bander. So I recently added this hand held bander. Only been able to use it a couple time so far, but it's really sped up my process & eliminated my hatred of prepping shelves.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My answer to applying edgebanding on cabinet shelves has been a clothes iron. I don't do enough edge banding to warrant an automated edge bander. So I recently added this hand held bander. Only been able to use it a couple time so far, but it's really sped up my process & eliminated my hatred of prepping shelves.:thumbup:

The Festool Bander could be a stepping stone before edge bander.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pin, I'm trying to figure out the differences in the edge banding guns. Not sure I see the difference between the E and the F?
Voltage. The cheaper one is 230 volt. The other is 110 volt. Not sure why that makes that much difference. EU voltage is 230 I believe, so I'm not sure if the machine would even work on our system.

The other difference, E is the one I bought, the side plate can be removed & a different plate put in it's place so I can band rabits or up agains a shoulder.

·
Contractor
4,643 Posts
EU voltage is 230 I believe, so I'm not sure if the machine would even work on our system.
is it more like an iron or does it contain complicated electronics? I would guess a fancy iron would have no trouble moving between 50hz and 60hz voltage but a control system may have for difficulty.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
the side plate can be removed & a different plate put in it's place so I can band rabits or up agains a shoulder.
Ran a Virutex EB-30 for quite a while, Eternal Biotch to keep adjusted. Thought about that unit after downsizing, but went with the glue pot PEB250 instead. Had run into too many wish there was more glue on the tape issues. But that was on doors and what I call IKEA boards.

Your unit might be a good quick start repair-field applicator for me.

How well does the edgeband track over long runs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts