Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone thinks its cheaper to just throw away roller pads than to clean them out? At 3 dollars a pad i find it easier just to trash them and get a new one the next day, versus the labor cost of cleaning them out. Any comments

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
I would rather spend the time to clean them out. For one it's wasteful and it saves me extra trips to the paint store. I think if you buy high quality rollers and clean them out they can last years, therefore offsetting the costs in the longrun.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
My sleeves are 5 bucks
I wash them out

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
When I'm going to use them the next day I leave them on the handle take a grocery bag and roll it up on the roller. Keeps good for a day or two. The I throw it out. I don't paint every day so a few bucks here and there is worth it to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thats what I do too. Seems to work fine.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I charge for new ones on every job, but I wash them out and re-use them as much as I can stand. Being a one man band, there are often some that get tossed simply because I don't have the extra time to clean em up, and I also sometimes need numerous rollers setup in different paints to make me as efficient as possible. You can see how easy it becomes to throw them away....not only that but $20 on the price for covers has never hurt any.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just figuring my labor costs if it was a time materials job maybe it would be worth cleaning them. but on a contract job time is money and i would have to clean out alot of rollers to be saving any money. of course if im gonna be in the same color for awhile we will save them. or even 18 in rollers we will save. i would rather be wasteful i guess then to waste time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I pitch them. I never can get them clean enough with the amount of time I have to do it. It's just cheaper to pitch them. That and I hate clean-up.

EDIT: OOPS, I didn't realize how old this thread was.

·
Registered
425 Posts
my paint store carries these things for washing out covers,its a clear tube with 2 screw on black end caps,one has a hook-up for a hose,you unscrew one end,slide the cover in ,screw the endcap back on and hook it up to the hows or faucet .In about 45 seconds your cover is clean,and I mean clean ! give it a swish in a 5 of water,,spin it out,good to go ! Very happy I spent the 20.00 for it!

·
Registered
309 Posts
i guess i am buying my rollers at the wrong place. A good 18 inch roller is not cheap. I re-use as much as possible. Level 1 is great cond. for interior walls. THey then go to level 2. Use on exterior. After that level 3- backrolling exterior, or decks, then they go to the burn barrel. i'm cheap though

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Most of my roller covers cost about 5-7 bucks, if I pay a man 30 minutes to wash it out, it's worth tossing. Some roller covers are worth a little more to me, we use these mostly...

http://www.whizzrollers.com/whizz2/whizz/cageframe.htm

They take about half the time to clean and don't leave fuzzies.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Brushslingers-
i tried to click on roller covers to look at prices and it wouldn't let me do anything. How do you order them? Am I an idiot? Don't answer that

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most of my roller covers cost about 5-7 bucks, if I pay a man 30 minutes to wash it out, it's worth tossing. Some roller covers are worth a little more to me, we use these mostly...

http://www.whizzrollers.com/whizz2/whizz/cageframe.htm

They take about half the time to clean and don't leave fuzzies.
That's what I keep thinking Brushslingers. Even if it only took 15 minutes, it still wouldn't be worth my time. About the only time I do have them cleaned is when I have my helper who works for $10/ hour do it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Brushslingers-
i tried to click on roller covers to look at prices and it wouldn't let me do anything. How do you order them? Am I an idiot? Don't answer that

sorry, thats just a showplace. I love those covers, found em at panhandle paints here and good god... im sure you can get someone who carries whizz to order some.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I try to save the rollers as much as possible. If I am using oil-based paint I just toss the roller. I take a hose with an adjustable end and angle the roller while still on the handle and hit is with a good stream of water and they clean up pretty fast.......it does make a bit of a mess, but I water down the area after. I do use more water than that roller cleaner. When I am done hitting the roller catridge it is just damp and almost ready to reuse with another paint. Is this how you all do them if you do not have that cartridge tool cleaner?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.