Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few hardwood flooring questions dealing with molding around a uneven edged fireplace hearth and floor transitions. I am installing my customers prefinish 3/4" x 3 1/4" solid oak planks.

1) I am working on a creating a boarder around a fireplace hearth that has 3" high bricks with a rough front edge. Any ideas on how to improve over quarter round?

2) Current threshold & molding offerings seem easy to trip on (too high) and less than a perfect solution. Does anyone have a low profile threshold idea they want to share? The two surfaces are hardwood (3/4") & vinyl (1/2" plus or minus a 1/16").

Thanks in advance.

-E

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Around the fireplace, I'd profile and grout if it wasn't a floating floor, it's traditional brick to wood interface.
Transition mouldings I would make myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How about undercutting the hearth with an undercut saw equipted with a masonry blade?

Don

·
Registered
810 Posts
What Don said.

Anything else will look like a turd sandwich in addition to locking the floor in.

You can make due with a grider and diamond blade. You will need a second pair of hands to hold a vacuum next to your tool.

You might be able to rent a Crain 812 saw.That is what I use to undercut masonry. It is the cat's meow. has a vacuum port at the saw base. It is practiically dustless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts