Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard builders transit and a old worn out laser that was a hammy down, it died. I am now shopping for a new one and would like any experience with the leica rugby 100lr. I am just a basic site work contractor doing parking lots, housing developments, restuarnt lots, ect. Is the programable slop adjustment a huge benefit or no real big deal. The old laser had to be manually adjusted and I got efficient at it. If anyone has anything to add I will appreciate it.

·
Contractor
7,679 Posts
I have nothing bad to say about Leica, I have handled their lasers and they seem to be good products.

I purchased a David White laser a few years ago, 3175 dual grade self leveling. I am very pleased with it.

http://www.davidwhite.com/Laser_tools/483175.html

If you are looking for the programmable slope, that model Leica does not have it.

I like having the grade adjustment feature. I don't use it a lot, but when I do it works quite well. Great for setting subgrade for patios or driveways where you need a predetermined slope, same with drain lines.

It is much faster to set the laser on slope and run with it, than to sit and run all the calculations, measure distances and mark the correct grade on stakes, then rely on someone to actually check it properly.

·
Stud
605 Posts
We have leica pipe laser. Never had any problems with it.

Topcon makes an affordable laser. Never had problems with that either.

Programmable slope is nice feature if you can afford it & have use for it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Im with Day, thats what is on my truck. Its a good durable laser. Just feel the receiver is on the cheap side. The laser itself has held up to a lot of poor weather. Had a few issues though. The only real problem is guys not getting it covered, or put away when it starts raining. It happened twice this summer, both times it had to sit a few days without the battery pack to dry out. Once dry it works fine. The second time it went in to the shop to be checked out, and it was better than manufacturers standards for accuracy.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Im with Day, thats what is on my truck. Its a good durable laser. Just feel the receiver is on the cheap side. The laser itself has held up to a lot of poor weather. Had a few issues though. The only real problem is guys not getting it covered, or put away when it starts raining. It happened twice this summer, both times it had to sit a few days without the battery pack to dry out. Once dry it works fine...
ditto to all the above. I'ved used it maybe 45 full days and have had no "issues" with it.

also have a Microfyn laser (MLP 120) that has been in service for several years without problems. Don't know about their rotary models but they might be worth looking at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts