Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving and stopped at a red light today . They were doing a roof replacement . Two guys and one gun plus level . The guy was using a 4' level on every shingle of every course :eek:. I couldn't believe my eyes . Tried to take phone picture but zoom was no working on my phone . If that don't take the cake I don't know what would .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
you can't just arbitrarily say ''well the house isn't level so leave it in the truck''

what if the house is out of level and your replacing windows?do you install them out of level?

level is where things start

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
you can't just arbitrarily say ''well the house isn't level so leave it in the truck''

what if the house is out of level and your replacing windows?do you install them out of level?

level is where things start
Now Tom.

This old dog of a house I have looks pretty good from the street. It's started as a small 2 story box with 4 more boxes added on - one on each side. But it drops 2-1/2" going out the north face.

So I put high quality sliders in, and had the sider run the vinyl square to the wall. There isn't a dambned level line anywhere - and it would look like chit if they was.

I respect your quality and experience, I truly do.:thumbsup:

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
SmallTownGuy said:
Now Tom. This old dog of a house I have looks pretty good from the street. It's started as a small 2 story box with 4 more boxes added on - one on each side. But it drops 2-1/2" going out the north face. So I put high quality sliders in, and had the sider run the vinyl square to the wall. There isn't a dambned level line anywhere - and it would look like chit if they was. I respect your quality and experience, I truly do.:thumbsup:
I just use a story poll around the house

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,128 Posts
I use a number of different means. measure how it comes out with the windows, comes out with overhang. Will try to run level or there about if at all possible. although it is much easier if windows are replaced.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So what happens if the roof isn't level.

It's like guys who level siding, it never works out, and always looks like ****
Generally run it level or close to it. Tends to work out with reveals on windows (especially if new are installed obviously) most often. Uneven top rip less noticeable at soffit as opposed at windows in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts