Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Baby Sitter for Grown Men
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a pretty large cache of tools, 15-20 crew and 150-200 person job site.

We are losing a lot of batteries from our cordless tools, and also a number of cordless drills etc.

This is due to a couple things;
Guys lending tools to trades (and not caring or checking if they come back)
Our guys leaving tools out
Temp workers our company hires, leaving tools out
Trades taking tools without asking

we have 4 lock-ups on site.

One at my end, along with a container that is always locked, and two more that are out of my control and eyesight.

What do you guys with large crews, do to manage your tools

·
Super Moderator
30,022 Posts
Foreman or super should be responsible to see that all tools are returned to the gang box everyday.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My crew isnt near that big but I know of one place that has a manned tool "room". You have to checkout a tool instead of just grabbing stuff. At the end of the day you are responsible for the tools you checked out. Each tool is numbered so that it if your tool comes up missing it is located easier and someone else cant turn it in as their own.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Holy chit :eek:

We had that at school where we didn't move around much (or at all), but I can't imagine having a manned tool crib on a jobsite and moving it around every time the crew moves.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Everything needs to be itemized, numbered, and tracked..... There should be a log of what tools are with what foremen and make them responsible for those tools.

Extension cords are the one exception.... The are disposable and need to be replaced periodically..... They should still be tracked, but they will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Provide the big stuff, gas compressors, hoses, extension cords, demo hammers, scaffolding, core drills, bits, blades etc. Have the guys provide cordless drills, saws etc, pay accordingly. This what the big commercial company I worked for did. Most seemed to like having their own tools and being more in control, separated the guys that wanted it from the career labourers. They forgot to pay accordingly though.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Foreman's or his designee's job to hand out tools.

On a large job the foreman or supervisor of the area or floor gave out tools.

Specialty tools & new stuff was kept in the shack.

You had to be careful that you didn't spend more money on trying to control tool inventory than it was worth.

Most crews I have been around supplied their own cordless tools & batteries. If guys were regulars and not some ding bats they got tossed a battery now & then.

On the big jobs it was very rare that subs were leant tools.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Buy guys sets of tools, and they have to keep them themselves.
All our regular guys have been with us for years (the economy thinned out the rest) They all have their own (company supplied) tools that they keep in their truck boxes. I keep a full set along with all the big stuff (compressor, water pumps, generators etc) in a 40' conex that goes job to job.

I also have a supplier that sets up a cabinet in my office trailer for disposables. Power cords, caution tape, drill bits, dust masks, string etc etc. He sets it up at the beginning of the job, and checks it every week, I only pay for what I use. Saves me lots of trip to Blowes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I also have a supplier that sets up a cabinet in my office trailer for disposables. Power cords, caution tape, drill bits, dust masks, string etc etc. He sets it up at the beginning of the job, and checks it every week, I only pay for what I use. Saves me lots of trip to Blowes.
Haha, now that supplier has found a creative way to kiss the super's ass and make sales easy as possible for all involved. I would love access to a grab now/pay later system for little stuff on the site that needs replenishing.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
He's a good guy I have been doing business with for years. He knows all the scuttlebutt from all the jobs around, and is a good source for info on some of our competitors, but he's careful not to badmouth anybody. He also knows when to go away, which is a really good trait in a salesman:laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts