Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pet pieve of mine, when you turn around and every "seo" guy on the internet is spouting off "this will cause a penalty" or Google can change their minds and all the work you have done will now be PENALIZED!

Thank you for sounding the you dont know what the heck you are talking about alarm.

People used to list their business in directorys but now you will get penalized for it!

If you use press releases you will get a penalty.

Stupid crap like this. Please if you dont know anything about seo then just say you dont know anything about seo.

Marketing nerds dont know what a link devaluation is versus an algorithm filter, versus a penalty

Do directories have problems? Sure. Sh!tty ones with site wides blasting your money KW to 12,000 is an issue, but it could also end up devalued and nothing come of it. One way or the other that sitewide in some PR6 directory will not help you.

Do press releases have issues? Sure, but they are used hundreds of times a day without issue, why is that?

Why dont "pros" ever study the big brands, new company launches to see how their seo efforts effect their sites?

Then someone will say , my site is no where to be found. Someone will say oh hey look your in a bunch of directories you got penalized!

Oh the laughs....

·
Registered
31 Posts
In support of your point JBM...Most contractors simply do not have the resources to do enough bad things to get serious penalties from Google. That is, it takes a lot of work to get significantly penalized for a locally focused contractor website. I wouldn't worry about penalties so much but about spending time on strategies that deliver the most bang for your buck/bang for your time.

Reactions: JBM

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd also like to add that penalties usually stem from SEO "experts" who are looking for the "quick and easy route". It used to be that you could just put a link in blog posts to get your website to the top of Google. A lot of people were hurt by that. High Page Rank directories that offered do-follow links will knock you down. And more recently press release websites.

There's plenty of SEO strategies that will get you to the top of Google and won't hurt you. It's known as "white hat" (I know you know that). SEO experts and business owners can sleep easy with it :)

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technically white hat is producing good content and waiting for a link to come naturally lol.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
If you want to be aggressive about banklinking but are frozen with fear and all the scary seo's telling you about penalties, then have more than 1 website for your business.
Exactly. Many people create landing pages for this purpose. The way I figure, if I am not sure whether or not I can do something, I'll do it until the powers that be tell me otherwise. But I am not going to paralyze myself in fear of getting scolded

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Now that an older thread got bumped I'll chime in with some important considerations. If you're doing your own site and SEO, you shouldn't have any worries about getting a penalty unless you're copying someone else's content. Build your own unique site and penalties will be very hard to get just as others have already said. On the downside, ranking may prove hard to get so penalties would be the least of your problems.

The tricky part is in who you hire when you decide to stick with contracting and get a pro to do your site. I started my current company almost 13 years ago so I've seen just about everything. If I can offer one word of valuable advice, it would be stay away from "good deals" because it's the easiest way to get burned. It's easy for them to offer low prices when they use "tech toys" to automate magic SEO that will eventually earn you penalties you would never be able to accomplish manually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts