Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be coming down to the foundation. Ill be leaving the fireplace, although it would be nice to take that out as well. Question is, so I put bluestone on these slopes....I dont have time to order solid pieces, but I could do something with some treads. Chimney is 20" off the house, will have to bump it up to 24" to stuff a 12x12 in there. Old timers sometimes put a 12x12 inside these 20" chimneys, but that only tells you there is 4" against the house.

Does anyone want better pictures of how I build anything in particular on this? Lead, throat, slopes. Im going to make sure it is stepped flashed too lol, wicked pissa.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was yesterday and todays mess

Hung an 8x8 off a piece of steel at the top so the chimney sweep guy could put a pipe down it and finish it off proper.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did I do last week, lets see a fireplace with leftover thin stone

Stuck some lathe in the portland and nailed it to the floor. The instert needed a larger hearth is what started this whole thing.

The owners are origially from pennsylvania and drew up this keystone they wanted me to make. I had 1 or 2 piece2 of stone that was big enough.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Threw these together at some point over the last couple weeks. Porch is rotted, carpenter said he would build a new one around the steps :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Staying busy glad to see that. I've been doing a ton of thinatone lately myself. What lead to the HO wanting to tear that whole chimney down in the first pic rather than a rebuild I took a glance at the pic

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thin stone will be pretty much all that is used at some point :(

The bricks are all falling apart. Faces popping right off, one after another

Ill get better pics tomorrow

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Nice work buddy, should of put the Keystone (PA) in a jack arch...woulda looked sweet :thumbup:

I think I'd use some blue stone treads on those corbels as well...a lot of water entry issues using brick and we all know what that leads too :whistling

What a spalled mess, I know exactly what you mean ;)

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to build it like that but the owner thought the insert might have a metal flange on it of some sort. I do what im told lol.

Captn. How far is the south shore? Im in landcaster, im not sure if the roads go that far from here. Lol

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted to build it like that but the owner thought the insert might have a metal flange on it of some sort. I do what im told lol.

Captn. How far is the south shore? Im in landcaster, im not sure if the roads go that far from here. Lol

·
Registered
909 Posts
This was yesterday and todays mess

Hung an 8x8 off a piece of steel at the top so the chimney sweep guy could put a pipe down it and finish it off proper.
I would have never guessed the backside of those brick were in such good condition............:laughing:

The FP revamp below looks great, clean and simple........

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back to this job, this is what the top looked like, the old porty was flat which is what cause the whole top to fail.

12x12 with a 20" chimney....

How long has it been code for 8" against the house? Im not that old to know.

53DD anyone? Its been a while, I love these bricks.

Do any of you use these line lead gizmos? Ive run into a few people that dont know anything about them. I would quit if I use a level all the way up.

I had some of these ugly friggen things that I used up in the throat. $1.25 filler bricks....

I lost my sponge, it was just in the toolbox. Oh well, I had an extra mason brush and did my wet brush stucco finish.

I was losing sleep over the way this chimney was built. I realized I was being stupid and was trying to rebuild this thing without re working the siding. I was having coffee and I almost started laughing. If you look at this pic there is only 9 pieces of siding to re do. The owner said he knows someone who is a carpenter, well there we go. I can sleep at night now.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I do string lead similar to that for veneer work. I nail 2 2x4's so they're like an upside down L and nail that to the wall sticking passed a little less than where I guess the veneer is with a 3" nail sticking out the corner of the upper 2x. Line block on the lower brick and string on the nail, then move the string and bend the nail until the string is plumb.

What a long terrible description of something that is super simple

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Oh and I forgot to say...nice work.

That fireplace sure burns cold huh? Hope you suggested a sweep to come out. that looks like a chimney fire just waiting to happen

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh and I forgot to say...nice work.

That fireplace sure burns cold huh? Hope you suggested a sweep to come out. that looks like a chimney fire just waiting to happen
The old chimney only had 3 flues in it :eek: Thats how tall they made the throat. Not only that it was as wide as the chimney, I reduced the sides a bit and began my sloping with brick work to reduce the total area in there.

Should keep it warmer I hope, also they got all new flues :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.