Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just lost a siding to job to another company..this will make your head spin.
25 sq with a full tear off. another comapny comes in and says they can do the job using HARDI PLANK for 14k ...!!!! i told the guy(owner) the pricing is beyond ridiculous., a job like that with azek and nothing fancy,just basic trim work is about 18k at least. this has been happening more and more. i am going to have to take a peak at the quality of the work at these prices..no way anyone can make money on a job that size for such a low price.i am ready to give up on siding.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
I recently had a discussion with a former employee of a siding installer around my area.

The contractor was working as an installer for **** Creepo. On every job he would over order materials by 3 Sq's. He would return 1 at the end of the job. This left him with 2 Sq of "stock".

After 5 years as an installer he now has a 40,000 sq ft warehouse with all of this siding in it. I literally mean he has enough siding to install on 50 homes.

He is licensed, insured, bonded and a great installer with competetive install pricing. He wins every bid because he can charge way less for materials.

Maybe this isn't your competitor, then again it may be!

The moral of this story is simply this.

Some contractors are dishonest. Others can no longer compete and this is how we sink and drown.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I see Hardie going up on houses where we are installing windows once in awhile, its always the same thing.

Big van pulls up, 10 people that appear to be from south of the border and do not speak english jump out and go to town.

These guys are good workers and probably don't get paid didly. Have seen them run across a 12/12 pitch roof and onto a ladder thats only sticking up like a foot from the eve without breaking stride(they arent very safety conscious:party:)

I imagine it would be hard to compete with these crews on price :no:

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I recently had a discussion with a former employee of a siding installer around my area.

The contractor was working as an installer for **** Creepo. On every job he would over order materials by 3 Sq's. He would return 1 at the end of the job. This left him with 2 Sq of "stock".

After 5 years as an installer he now has a 40,000 sq ft warehouse with all of this siding in it. I literally mean he has enough siding to install on 50 homes.

He is licensed, insured, bonded and a great installer with competetive install pricing. He wins every bid because he can charge way less for materials.

Maybe this isn't your competitor, then again it may be!

The moral of this story is simply this.

Some contractors are dishonest. Others can no longer compete and this is how we sink and drown.
bs.....

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I hear ya. I recently priced out a job to tear off T1-11 siding, sheet with osb, and re-side with Hardiplank. So I bid $1/sq. ft. for demo and re-sheet, $1.35/sq. ft. labor on installing Hardiplank. They supply materials and do windows and misc. work.

I thought I was pretty cheap, but apparently I was too expensive, he had lower bidders.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
i just lost a siding to job to another company..this will make your head spin.
25 sq with a full tear off. another comapny comes in and says they can do the job using HARDI PLANK for 14k ...!!!! i told the guy(owner) the pricing is beyond ridiculous., a job like that with azek and nothing fancy,just basic trim work is about 18k at least. this has been happening more and more. i am going to have to take a peak at the quality of the work at these prices..no way anyone can make money on a job that size for such a low price.i am ready to give up on siding.

where are you located? Here vinyl certainteed just mainstreet double 4 goes up for 225-250 a square, labor and material not including tear off, would be a $6,250 job for installation. I gotta move...:no:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hear ya. I recently priced out a job to tear off T1-11 siding, sheet with osb, and re-side with Hardiplank. So I bid $1/sq. ft. for demo and re-sheet, $1.35/sq. ft. labor on installing Hardiplank. They supply materials and do windows and misc. work.

I thought I was pretty cheap, but apparently I was too expensive, he had lower bidders.
That is sub contractor pricing! Although the Hardie rep here told me that he knows a guy who does entire jobs for $300 a square! Way too low!

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
hahaha, someone just offered me 18sq of certainteed siding for $300. I thought to good to be true. It was in boxes, etc. I opened the boxes and found the siding cut. It was used siding. hahaha. it was taken off of another house and attempted to be sold. Watch out for this now...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There's always someone out there who can beat your price, Paul. We lose some here and there. So be it, we get more than enough, at the right price because we do a much better job explaining why we're worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
talk about how pathetic the siding market has become..im siding a 43 sq custom home in essex... for 8g's. really pathetic. but either i do...or i sit home watching the phone

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gee Whiz! Where you guys at?! I wrote 3 siding jobs this week. 10 square Charter Oak for $9500. 25 sq prodigy for $20K, and a 15 square prodigy for $13K---no S&F on any of them.

Why is siding going for so little? Taking jobs for so cheap seems like it would create a significantly lower price impression and market rate. But I guess it's you or some hack getting the job so you're almost forced to play the game.

How much to you think salesmanship plays a part in not being able to get the kind of dollar you want for a job?

·
Registered
14 Posts
siding

i think our economy "scare" is about over but everyone's fear that its still devastatingly bad has forced markets down. theres work out there but people are playing it so gdam safe were shooting ourselfs in the foot. i have an idea why were siding for nearly NOTHING...the hacks have come out in full force and finally found a market they can compete in...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i have an idea why were siding for nearly NOTHING...the hacks have come out in full force and finally found a market they can compete in...
So true, so true.........and yet some other guys hire these guys to work for them. It's hard to find a real professional anymore. People figure everyone is a hack and just hire the cheapest one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts