I own stock in FotoMat!
12,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
exterior spray painting I will cut your lowest bid in half

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/sks/4479960771.html

"I offer exterior spray painting services. Certified painter with 23 years experience. I will cut your lowest bid in half. "
I am sure that the people who hire this guy will get the kind of contractor they deserve. And he will get the kinds of folks that fall for this advertising.

On another note, I just got through doing our new vehicle graphics. No mention of Free Estimates, Discounts, Low Price or anything regarding pricing and estimates.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm so cheap! Cheapest guy around! You should hire me because I don't care about my standard of living, I'm just a painter! Who needs to bring home more than $15 an hour? Not me! Everyone else is just greedy!

Disclaimer:

You may have to pay someone real money to fix my mess. I also have no pride in my work nor do I care about quality.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Maybe the guy just quotes labor and has the client buy all the materials. He may not even quote any prep work either. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He gets his foot in the door, then the prices go up from there.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
That happens a lot around here. So many customers ask me for full material list in estimate. I know full well what they are doing. I normally figure out a price in 10mins after i get home for these special people lol.
I get this all the time to, could you break down all the small connectors and everything I will need to make this system work. Sure I will get right on it so you can have a complete parts list and head to the store.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I get this all the time to, could you break down all the small connectors and everything I will need to make this system work. Sure I will get right on it so you can have a complete parts list and head to the store.
Luckily lots of the stuff we use isn't available off the shelf at wal-mart.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
Maybe the guy just quotes labor and has the client buy all the materials. He may not even quote any prep work either. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He gets his foot in the door, then the prices go up from there.
He's probably a 19 yr old kid living at his parents house not paying rent, food, or insurance.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it is bait and switch. Probably by having the home owner prep the whole house including sanding. He comes in and does the spraying. And there you go...1/2 price. Or maybe he is just going to paint half the house!

Ismael,

www.ismaelsinc.com

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it is bait and switch. Probably by having the home owner prep the whole house including sanding. He comes in and does the spraying. And there you go...1/2 price. Or maybe he is just going to paint half the house!

Ismael,

www.ismaelsinc.com
If I have to prep and sand, I might as well go all the way and paint the damn thing myself.

Sounds more like a I only accept cash, keep no records, have no insurnace and file no taxes, and half ass the job kinda person, thus allowing him to do it at half price.

·
Banned
38 Posts
yeah, but the idea is to just get the lead, get in the door, explain the 'cheap' program and then sell them the real paint job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some people only know how to sell on price. That's too bad. They probably are very good at what they do.
They should take some time to read forums like this and learn how to improve on their sales skills and confidence in their services.
I would rather get my price or not get it at all.
Selling your services based on price never works out in the long term unless you are McDonalds. (They aren't even cheap if you were to compare.)

·
Construction Marketing
4 Posts
yeah, but the idea is to just get the lead, get in the door, explain the 'cheap' program and then sell them the real paint job.
That's typically how they work. You want the job done right? It's the same as the "other guy".

Or, as was mentioned, he has no license, insurance or tax expenses.

The "I want a complete parts list" happens at the low end of the low voltage electrical industry all the time. You design the system for them, then they head straight to Amazon to buy the list you so graciously supplied.

You DO NOT want to work with those customers anyway. They value your time, experience, or knowledge only enough to steal it and use it for themselves; never enough to actually pay you for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts