Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Cut hole. Grab wire in wall pull through hole. Pull wire into box. Nail box to stud.

Not rocket science to see how it could be done.
I've seen it done exactly as Rob says, and it can be done cleanly, too.

Edit: I've seen a couple large remodels done by a guy in L.A. entirely that way. NM was left looped over a nail at each outlet, drywall hung, then boxes put in afterward. And no, I don't know how it ever got inspected.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've seen it done exactly as Rob says, and it can be done cleanly, too.
It can be done easily and cleanly but that does not change the fact it's both stupid and inefficient.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Separate question from the rotozip fiasco. Around here new boxes have to be no worse than 1/4" out of flush with the finish surface. Are those boxes adjustable? Add extensions? Different rules?

- Bob

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
There is no way to install a nail on box properly in walls that have already been sheetrocked.

Cut in box, piece of cake.

Reactions: TAHomeRepairs

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Wow. When I first learned to use a rotozip, no one bothered to tell me how to use the stupid thing. My first box looked better than those.

I must say I love the un coated drywall screws. It'll be a great help in hanging pictures, you'll always know where the stud is :)
Only if they bothered to use a stud to hang the drywall.....:clap:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Separate question from the rotozip fiasco. Around here new boxes have to be no worse than 1/4" out of flush with the finish surface. Are those boxes adjustable? Add extensions? Different rules?

- Bob
Bob... And doesn't that apply only to SR/non flamable... otherwise flush???? I'll bet they just are plain out of code.

But in a pinch, without a remodel box, I've put the box in after the rock... I never nailed it.... just predrilled and used screws.....

Somewhere I saw/read, that someone is making a remodel box (not the winged/eared kind) with an angled nail guide molded in the box for application after rock..... supposedly for application when you are unsure of the final wall depth (maybe wavy framing or afterfinish not determined as yet or tieling ?) and can't set the box 1/2 out from framing....

Guess it's less expensive than the adjustable depth boxes..... never seen it in a supply house/store as yet.....

Best

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
You are a troll, you have been since you joined. :thumbup:

you want to fight and argue with everyone to show how superior and moral you are. :laughing::no:
TNT is right. I pulled the wires but was not smart enough to put boxes up during rough-in.

So I bashed out a couple square feet of drywall next to the stud, nailed on my boxes, made everything up, did a half-ass job patching the drywall that I ruined, and waited for it to be taped, textured & painted.

Once that was done, I came along with a zip router, chewed up my boxes, textured and painted it all to make it look like someone else fûcked it up, and took photos of the resulting fiasco in hopes of covering my äss.

Maybe TNT, with his enormous, self-righteous ego, should give classes to all of us on how to do things right since he's the only one who does. Hell, he can't even figure out he's been called a troll.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
TNT is right. I pulled the wires but was not smart enough to put boxes up during rough-in.

So I bashed out a couple square feet of drywall next to the stud, nailed on my boxes, made everything up, did a half-ass job patching the drywall that I ruined, and waited for it to be taped, textured & painted.

Once that was done, I came along with a zip router, chewed up my boxes, textured and painted it all to make it look like someone else fûcked it up, and took photos of the resulting fiasco in hopes of covering my äss.
The urge to confess...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Bob... And doesn't that apply only to SR/non flamable... otherwise flush???? I'll bet they just are plain out of code.

But in a pinch, without a remodel box, I've put the box in after the rock... I never nailed it.... just predrilled and used screws.....

Somewhere I saw/read, that someone is making a remodel box (not the winged/eared kind) with an angled nail guide molded in the box for application after rock..... supposedly for application when you are unsure of the final wall depth (maybe wavy framing or afterfinish not determined as yet or tieling ?) and can't set the box 1/2 out from framing....

Guess it's less expensive than the adjustable depth boxes..... never seen it in a supply house/store as yet.....

Best
Yep, otherwise flush. I haven't seen those new boxes.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
480sparky said:
TNT is right. I pulled the wires but was not smart enough to put boxes up during rough-in. So I bashed out a couple square feet of drywall next to the stud, nailed on my boxes, made everything up, did a half-ass job patching the drywall that I ruined, and waited for it to be taped, textured & painted. Once that was done, I came along with a zip router, chewed up my boxes, textured and painted it all to make it look like someone else fûcked it up, and took photos of the resulting fiasco in hopes of covering my äss. Maybe TNT, with his enormous, self-righteous ego, should give classes to all of us on how to do things right since he's the only one who does. Hell, he can't even figure out he's been called a troll.

Sounds plausible

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
You are a troll, you have been since you joined. :thumbup:

you want to fight and argue with everyone to show how superior and moral you are. :laughing::no:
So what is this post? Pot calling the kettle black? Carpenter made the statement, not me. I just agreed and defended his statement after sparky all but called him stupid.

If you want to kiss sparkys arse go right ahead.

This has nothing to do with morals just sticking up for a fellow member. Why is it that people who don't like me personally are so blinded by their hate that they can't see the world around them.

And it's obvious that you don't read 90% of my posts. If I were just a troll the mods would have perm ban me a long time ago.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts

Maybe TNT, with his enormous, self-righteous ego, should give classes to all of us on how to do things right since he's the only one who does. Hell, he can't even figure out he's been called a troll.
I never said you did it, just that I have seen it done.

I also never said it was the right way, just that I have seen it done that easy. You just got your panties in a twist because carpenter didn't know you did the electric. You also think I think you did that. Chill out, just because I would cross the street to give you a glad of water if you were on fire doesn't mean that I think your a hack. Far from it.

I actually respect your knowledge, just not delivery.

And didn't I quote your troll comment? That should have been a clue that it was meant for me. My defense statement was solely directed at carpenter's first post. I almost said something when carpenter owned it, letting him knew our was meant for me.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The worst thing I ever seen was a homeowner did his own electrical but wanted me to trim it out.

My buddy was the builder and said yea have fun ,
Well the rocker was finished and they felt he did a bad job, do called me to fix it!!

I wasn't there 5 minutes and told the dude you got bigger problems than that!!

He placed all his boxes on the stud where the door jamb was!! Doh where does the trim go!!!

We
5" flat casing with box extensions for that "custom" look.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Nope thought of that, it would of made more work for me so I told the Ho , do it right he's got to live there not me!!

The next fiasco was the oak stairs I built them, when I was done they looked awesome,

It was late Friday and she said they will look good white with a dark stain on the treads!!

I laughed thinking she was joking and left, came back Monday morning to see the crappiest paint job I've ever seen!!

I was so pissed I refused to do anymore work and left!! They asked why I was so mad, you painted oak!! It could of been plywood making it not only cheaper but easier as well!!!

61 - 80 of 145 Posts