Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's hard to compete with this kind of quality. Sheesh What is this load of manure we are looking at?

It's a modified bitumen roof. I think self adhering, I wasn't able to actually get on the roof and check, the photos were taken from the roof edge. Take a look at the fancy termination bar holding the roof to the wall. Oh and the real straight seams. The customer wanted me to repair it since it's less than a year old. I told them the only repair was to start over. They no doubt hired someone else since I didn't get the job and probably got the same low level of quality.

I mean I wonder why I lose jobs and this is the answer. Unlicensed, unprofesional hacks trying their hand at roofing. Folks reading this thread, roofing is a skilled trade, and when you screw up the roof will leak.

It makes me want to laugh, and makes me sick to my stomach at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way this roof is in a very high end neighborhood known as Highland Park, IL this job is just off of greenbay road which is a ritzy street to live on or near to. You should never see this kind of work in the North Shore, ever. This is what I'd expect to see in the ghettos of Chicago.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
What the heck man, that looks good from the ground. Shouldn't going the extra mile to add that strapping on there be kudos? You can still see the UPC symbol where he bought it at Home Depot on his 4th trip there that day.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
It's hard to compete with this kind of quality.
Take a look at the fancy termination bar holding the roof to the wall.

so... what you are saying is that they should have taken the barcode off right?! :w00t:

I hear you on the low cost high expectancy/low quality that for some reason snares most HO'ers. If it is too good to be true.. it probably is..

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm not a low slope roofer Grumpy but that says HACK to me!! How ignorant do you need to be as a homeowner to not know you are being sold a pile of crap? That guy was probly finishing the job up thinking i need to get out of here with my check before they crawl up here and see my fantastic work!! :clap:

·
Don't Eat Yellow Snow!
401 Posts
I'm not a low slope roofer Grumpy but that says HACK to me!! How ignorant do you need to be as a homeowner to not know you are being sold a pile of crap? That guy was probly finishing the job up thinking i need to get out of here with my check before they crawl up here and see my fantastic work!! :clap:
The trouble is the H/O doesnt go up there to see the handy work,ignorance is bliss to them!
Cheers
Dave

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
The trouble is the H/O doesnt go up there to see the handy work,ignorance is bliss to them!
Cheers
Dave
Many HO aren't physically able to go up on a roof, and have to trust the contractor. Which is another good reason to find one that you trust, and pay the price required to use him.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,500 Posts
They're paying the price now though, aren't they? These photos would be good to show in a presentation to reinforce the old saying "You get what you pay for / good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good, etc."

One thing on the "termination bar". If they ever have a roof deck party they could tie off helium balloons on the perforations; oh wait, if they did that the bar would probably pull out with just a couple of 'em tugging on it.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I was looking at the photos again and just realized at least one seam is "bucking water" place in the wrong direction against the flow of water instead of with the flow.
I noticed that too. I'll have to say that is a pitiful installation. Definitely one to keep as a record of what not to do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's hard to compete with this kind of quality. Sheesh What is this load of manure we are looking at?

It's a modified bitumen roof. I think self adhering, I wasn't able to actually get on the roof and check, the photos were taken from the roof edge. Take a look at the fancy termination bar holding the roof to the wall. Oh and the real straight seams. The customer wanted me to repair it since it's less than a year old. I told them the only repair was to start over. They no doubt hired someone else since I didn't get the job and probably got the same low level of quality.

I mean I wonder why I lose jobs and this is the answer. Unlicensed, unprofesional hacks trying their hand at roofing. Folks reading this thread, roofing is a skilled trade, and when you screw up the roof will leak.

It makes me want to laugh, and makes me sick to my stomach at the same time.
We are in the same boat here Grumpy. This is an addition to the house and was installed by a Licensed Residential Builer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Once again it just proves that Licensing is not necessarily the answer to getting rid of hacks. Nice posts.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
We are in the same boat here Grumpy. This is an addition to the house and was installed by a Licensed Residential Builer.
The fix was simple. The builder was a hack. The home owner is a retired Nam Vet in a wheel chair. We see carpenters that can't roof, roofers that think they can frame, brick layers that can't flash a chimney, plumbers that think they are roofers and it just goes on.

This is what we did to fix the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
We will never run out of work.

The fix was simple. The builder was a hack. The home owner is a retired Nam Vet in a wheel chair. We see carpenters that can't roof, roofers that think they can frame, brick layers that can't flash a chimney, plumbers that think they are roofers and it just goes on.

This is what we did to fix the problem.
When you think you've seen it all. The roofer left this roof just like this, with TAR. When the tar broke down two years later, it flooded.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
When you think you've seen it all. The roofer left this roof just like this, with TAR. When the tar broke down two years later, it flooded.
This is what we did to fix this one. It is all I/W with peel & stick Modi. Installed on a nice hot day.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts