Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, the roof was done before fascia was fixed and you get 3 1/4 drip, also why the Hell would you use 3/4 osb on top of 1 by for the roof decking?

ForumRunner_20130927_193506.jpg

·
Registered
Remodel
28,687 Posts
If too many boards need replacement, it's faster to deck right over the top. I'm guessing that's what was done, but 3/4 is a little stout for doing that. You can also get into an issue on some buildings that the old 1X is thicker than the new 1X, so getting boards to match can be a problem.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If too many boards need replacement, it's faster to deck right over the top. I'm guessing that's what was done, but 3/4 is a little stout for doing that. You can also get into an issue on some buildings that the old 1X is thicker than the new 1X, so getting boards to match can be a problem.
No it needed to be decked, it was true 1x but I asked him why they used 3/4 and he goes because it's stronger. 3/8 would have been fine by me. But the big problem was at the fascia it was 2.5" of decking.

It's also a 100+ year old house with a pretty good bow in the roof. We are siding it, but he wanted the fascia "string line straight" so we framed it out then snapped a line on the roof line and cut it straight. The fascia goes from 7" to 9" back to 7". So that looks like crap to me, he said it looked good, I guess that's all that matters.

The one good thing about the huge drip is it put a line to break up the huge fascia.

But after that I was pretty happy with my brake skills, I used a scrap to try it out and made it on the first try, I've never made drip before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts