Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a call this evening from a client I hadn't talked to in about 2 years. He asked me if I would go inspect a house for a friend of his that was thinking about moving to the area.

I knew which house they were talking about. Its been on the market for about 3 years. Its listed for $795,000.00 and to be completely honest there are few people in this area that can afford such a house. Its being advertised as "Newly Remodeled" "Fresh Paint" "Lots of custom wood options".

Anyway, I went to do a walk through with my client's friend. My camera battery died on the ground floor. But I think you guys can get the idea.

Realtor was touting it as a "Show Piece" home.

For close to 800 grand this level of finish work in unacceptable.

It listed as 4500 sq/ft, I didn't measure it but looked closer to 3000 sq/ft to me.

Switch box to close to the wall? No problem cut 3/8" off and mud it in.

Only a true professional can finish drywall this smooth.

Who said baseboards were suppose to be tight against the wall?

Good tight miters, this is one of the better joints in the house!

"Custom" woodwork.

Now this is how you hide TV cable. :laughing:

And about 1900 sq/ft of new hardwood laid like this.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colonial casing and 3 1/2" base shouldn't be outside of non-walk-in closets in an $800K home.
No kidding. I wish I could have gotten some pictures of the upstairs. It got better, the further you went.

Had a cedar lined closet that had been hung with clipped head 8s.

All the casing in the bedrooms was ranch style that had been put up backwards.

:laughing:

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
The G/C That built the home pinched on the subs? Then walked away with a nice little check?

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The G/C That built the home pinched on the subs? Then walked away with a nice little check?

Home was built in the 80's.

I know who remodeled it. Yeah, I'd say he made a fortune, paper contracting at its best.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear they charge extra for that :laughing:
Also had some colonial casing being used as base in one of the closets.

The room that had shoe, it was installed backwards. You know, the longer part that is suppose to be against the wall. I guess it covers a bigger crack that way.

They had also pulled all the brick mould off the exterior doors and replaced it with 1x4s. Installed with screws no less. :laughing:

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But it's appraised at full value... This is why it don't trust real estate markets.
Yep, its pretty sad when you start dealing with the real estate market.

Client's friend said he had learned a lot in the hour and a half he spent with me this evening.

I showed him EVERYTHING, if it was wrong, messed up, or I just didn't like it. I picked it apart for him good.

Realtor was there as well, I thought she was going to have a stroke when I stuck my pocket knife in that miter and took a picture. :laughing::whistling She was sure glad when my batteries died.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,791 Posts
WOW and to think this was done by so called professionals.:eek:Looks like it all needs to be tore off and done right.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get a kick out of housing prices these days. How did they come to that price? Did the neighbors well built house move in ready spotless landscaping and all the bells and whistles go for that so they think this crap box is worth it hahaha

1 - 20 of 55 Posts