Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
It does look odd. The placement of the inside posts is weird. There must be some kind of cantilever/box thing going under all that soffit. It looks like they had enough room for some steel or massive beamage and minimal posting. That would have looked killer. Well, killerish anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ya there's way to much going on there. Posts all over the place. The whole door and window placement looks really weird too.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts
HOs ask builders do dumb stuff all the time.
FIFY.

Almost looks like, at least to me, someone added more overhang after the rafters were installed.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
That's a classic case of not understanding roof systems. There's a gable + valley + hip all coming together in the corner, & they fudged it in effort to get it to work.
Joe

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Whoever is responsible, that chit passed dumb and high-fived ugly on the way.

In terms of responsible. Everybody is a "designer" these days.......:rolleyes:

I actually feel bad for folks when they are confronted with the standing evidence that they are not.....good at it.

Reactions: Jaws

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Makes one wonder What the interior looks like.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Whats bugging you? The excessive use of soffit or the awkward stairs?
If they were that confused on the outside I can only imagine what's happening on the inside. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
551 Posts
im guessing that is a designer issue not a builder issue..
Agreed. You beat me to it. I'm quicker to point the finger at the plans before the builder.
I've built some awkward looking things before because, 'that's what the homeowner wants'. Those are the ones where you don't stick your sign in the front lawn.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A hurricane swept the town, (Goderich) a couple of years ago and obliterated thousands of trees and hundreds of century old buildings. My guess is that a renegade builder decided to capitalize and build a few spec homes. Or maybe not. Perhaps someone actually thought this looked good and would last.

It was/is a beautiful town, I just hate to see it blighted like this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts