Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the paragraph below might lead you to believe it is politcal.
The tag line at the bottom makes it business.

Comments ???

"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Adrian Rogers, 1931

OH! ??? You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

:wallbash: Unless you divide by a decimal !!!

H'mmmmmmmm

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

H'mmmmmmmm

George Z replied and said it is politics "wrong catagory"

No Way for the sake of this post lets say what you put in the job. [Material, Labor, Tax, Permits, Rentals] is your wealth. The total for the above is $3,482.15 now you want to increase your wealth to a selling price. Your O/H is 30% and the profit you want is 20%

Here are three prices #1 $5,223.23, #2 $5,432.15 #3 $6,964.30

What is your choice 1, 2, 3 ? _______

·
4,617 Posts
Make your point as function of business. I didn't catch the drift of your original post until I had read it three times.

If you wanted to discuss the method of computing mark up by dividing vs multiplying, then you should just come out and say that. The quote just clouded your point and didn't win any of the apoliticos on this forum over.

Thanks in advance.

·
Century Man
134 Posts

H'mmmmmmmm

No Way for the sake of this post lets say what you put in the job. [Material, Labor, Tax, Permits, Rentals] is your wealth. The total for the above is $3,482.15 now you want to increase your wealth to a selling price. Your O/H is 30% and the profit you want is 20%

What is your choice 1, 2, 3 ? ___3____
3 (three)

·
Registered
318 Posts

H'mmmmmmmm

What is your choice 1, 2, 3 ? _______
#1) $5223.23 Job Cost $3482.15 + OH $1044.65 + Profit $696.43

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think Adrian Rogers was talking about mark-up. :rolleyes:
See, this is the problem in America today, most people can't see or understand politics and they confuse it with idealogy... and rederick....

The OP comments are PURELY POLITICAL......in fact his words sound like they came straight out of a crazy idiot's mouth like Glenn Beck......:w00t:

·
Registered
563 Posts
The OP comments are PURELY POLITICAL......in fact his words sound like they came straight out of a crazy idiot's mouth like Glenn Beck......:w00t:
I don't see any part of Rogers statement that isn't true based on pure LOGIC.

No matter your political viewpoint, the simple fact is that not everyone can be at the same wealth level.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
You intentionally misinterpreted Adrian Rogersstatement in order to twist it to your own ends. The statement is not about mathematically dividing anything, it's about dividing ones wealth
amongst others.

Your mis-interpretation would have one enriching ones-self by giving all of ones wealth to half of ones-self.

You think you're clever, while most of us think you're an idiot.

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Lets back up a bit … On my original post I wanted
to use the last line spoken by Adrian Rogers.
"You can't increase wealth by dividing it"
He spoke that line way back in 1931, way before most of you
were born. In today's business world you should be dividing to increase your cost (your wealth) to a sell price.
Our moderator said I clouded the issue. Seeing the political replies I did, sorry for that! 2 members replied to the post as it was intended.

Alas 1 was right, 1 was wrong and herein lies the most important
part of the post. “The mathematically correct price”
using 5 line bookkeeping.

#1 Wrong answer

Line # 1 Total sale $5223.23 100.0 %

Line # 2 Total Cost - 3482.15 66.666

Line #3 Gross profit margin = 1741.08 33.333

Line #4 Overhead - 1566.97 30.0

Line #5 Net Profit (or loss) = 174.11 3.33

Wrong answer is gotten by multiplcation. 30% + 20% = 50%
Cost x 1.50 = $5223.23

#3 Right answer

Line # 1 Total sale $6964.30 100.0 %

Line # 2 Total Cost - 3482.15 50.0

Line #3 Gross profit margin = 3482.15 50.0

Line #4 Overhead - 2089.29 30.0

Line #5 Net Profit (or loss) = 1392.86 20.0

Right answer is gotten by division 30% + 20% = 50%
Cost divided by .50 = $6964.30
What is the observation in the above … although #1 wrong answer, showed that 30% overhead was made a hidden loss occurred. Because it was 30% of the wrong price. Also only 3.3% profit was made not 20% like the problem asked for.

#3 the right answer shows a true 30% Overhead and 20% profit

Line 5 + Line 4 = Line 3 ...
Line 3 + Line 2 = Total sale Line 1

Looks like the program won't keep numbers in line. anybody wants this
the way I wrote it send me a email I'll send it to you in word

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
You continue to play dumb games.

I think most of us understand that dividing by 1/2 is the same as multiplying by 2.

Adrians column was a completely different subject.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You intentionally misinterpreted Adrian Rogers statement in order to twist it to your own ends. The statement is not about mathematically dividing anything, it's about dividing ones wealth
amongst others.
Do you speak of me, Thom?

Your mis-interpretation would have one enriching ones-self by giving all of ones wealth to half of ones-self.
Huh?

You think you're clever, while most of us think you're an idiot.
Nice! :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts