Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this today. I complimented the guy on his economical and very practical lumber rack. He seemed a little embarrassed, but I wasn't making fun of him. Very functional, and he built it with scraps for free.

Attachments

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
A lumber lumber rack!

I saw a kayak rack made out of wood that was pretty cool. Removable without tools when not in use, and broke down into small pieces for storage.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I caught a lot of chit back in the 70's for making a wood topper out of 2X4's and T1-11.
Had plexi widows with aluminum trim and all.I was kinda proud of it at the time.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Bet it's quieter than aluminum with a ladder on it.
Why'dja have to say that??? I just bought a $300 steel rack :censored:

Really, I tie my ladder down with romex "bread ties", so it isn't that loud other than the whistling. At least until I get the rungs close cell foamed, it resides on the passenger side ...

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I caught a lot of chit back in the 70's for making a wood topper out of 2X4's and T1-11.
Had plexi widows with aluminum trim and all.I was kinda proud of it at the time.
I've considered that. My uncle made a hard tonneu cover out of 2 sheets of OSB, and some 1x. Heavy as all getout, but worked good. He even had 1x legs that swung down to hold it up for him.

I think the whole getup cost him under $20. He wrapped it with a brown tarp, but I think I'd have caulked the seam and painted it

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Lots of trailers with plywood / 2x4 extensions on top of a cheap double axle flatbed. Old tire, and a chain and it's a "dump" trailer :D

·
1,745 Posts
Had plexi widows with aluminum trim and all.
I had one of those as well. :laughing:
No Aluminum trim, but plexi windows.:laughing:
It was functional for awhile and served it's purpose.:thumbsup:

I was kinda proud of it at the time.
Looking back, I have to laugh at that now. I was young. What the hell did I know?
Oh wait, I thought I knew it all.:laughing:

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I was 19, I moved across the country in a single cab ford ranger. I needed a disposable rack to hold my surfboards so I could put my belongings in the bed. Made one out of 2" schedule 40 PVC. It had legs that sat in the bed and I just ratchet strapped the boards to the cleats inside of the bed so it pinned the whole rack down. It got me from Florida to California. I took it apart and saved it and used it when I moved back years later.

·
1,745 Posts
Lots of trailers with plywood / 2x4 extensions on top of a cheap double axle flatbed. Old tire, and a chain and it's a "dump" trailer :D
Oh wait again, almost forgot, my first trailer was painted plywood.:laughing:

Again, functional and cheap. Worked in the beginning when getting started.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I am now thanking god I had money when I started out. My first rack was a system one. I got a 6x12 enclosed trailer, than a dump trailer, than upgraded my enclosed trailer last summer to a 7x14

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Oh wait again, almost forgot, my first trailer was painted plywood.:laughing:

Again, functional and cheap. Worked in the beginning when getting started.
You painted it??? :laughing:

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I am now thanking god I had money when I started out. My first rack was a system one. I got a 6x12 enclosed trailer, than a dump trailer, than upgraded my enclosed trailer last summer to a 7x14
I got this rack: http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Indu...F8&qid=1394001494&sr=8-5&keywords=ladder+rack

put it on my white 96 F-250 Powerstroke. Extended cab, long bed. It might be a little old, but it's in decent enough shape, and has a nice towing setup. I only wish it was a 4x4. Now if I only had a trailer ... Bah, that's what the crews are for :laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts