Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

This is a real lumber rack

4146 18
Saw this today. I complimented the guy on his economical and very practical lumber rack. He seemed a little embarrassed, but I wasn't making fun of him. Very functional, and he built it with scraps for free.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
A lumber lumber rack!

I saw a kayak rack made out of wood that was pretty cool. Removable without tools when not in use, and broke down into small pieces for storage.
Bet it's quieter than aluminum with a ladder on it.
If it works, I don't see the problem. Poor folks, got poor ways.
Reactions: Bearded Wonder
That's on half the trucks here in Maine. We do bumpers too.
I caught a lot of chit back in the 70's for making a wood topper out of 2X4's and T1-11.
Had plexi widows with aluminum trim and all.I was kinda proud of it at the time.
And beds and sides
That's on half the trucks here in Maine. We do bumpers too.
Why'dja have to say that??? I just bought a $300 steel rack :censored:

Really, I tie my ladder down with romex "bread ties", so it isn't that loud other than the whistling. At least until I get the rungs close cell foamed, it resides on the passenger side ...
Bet it's quieter than aluminum with a ladder on it.
I've considered that. My uncle made a hard tonneu cover out of 2 sheets of OSB, and some 1x. Heavy as all getout, but worked good. He even had 1x legs that swung down to hold it up for him.

I think the whole getup cost him under $20. He wrapped it with a brown tarp, but I think I'd have caulked the seam and painted it
I caught a lot of chit back in the 70's for making a wood topper out of 2X4's and T1-11.
Had plexi widows with aluminum trim and all.I was kinda proud of it at the time.
Lots of trailers with plywood / 2x4 extensions on top of a cheap double axle flatbed. Old tire, and a chain and it's a "dump" trailer :D
I had one of those as well. :laughing:
No Aluminum trim, but plexi windows.:laughing:
It was functional for awhile and served it's purpose.:thumbsup:

Had plexi widows with aluminum trim and all.
I was kinda proud of it at the time.
Looking back, I have to laugh at that now. I was young. What the hell did I know?
Oh wait, I thought I knew it all.:laughing:
When I was 19, I moved across the country in a single cab ford ranger. I needed a disposable rack to hold my surfboards so I could put my belongings in the bed. Made one out of 2" schedule 40 PVC. It had legs that sat in the bed and I just ratchet strapped the boards to the cleats inside of the bed so it pinned the whole rack down. It got me from Florida to California. I took it apart and saved it and used it when I moved back years later.
Oh wait again, almost forgot, my first trailer was painted plywood.:laughing:

Again, functional and cheap. Worked in the beginning when getting started.
Lots of trailers with plywood / 2x4 extensions on top of a cheap double axle flatbed. Old tire, and a chain and it's a "dump" trailer :D
I am now thanking god I had money when I started out. My first rack was a system one. I got a 6x12 enclosed trailer, than a dump trailer, than upgraded my enclosed trailer last summer to a 7x14
You painted it??? :laughing:
Oh wait again, almost forgot, my first trailer was painted plywood.:laughing:

Again, functional and cheap. Worked in the beginning when getting started.
I got this rack: http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Indu...F8&qid=1394001494&sr=8-5&keywords=ladder+rack

put it on my white 96 F-250 Powerstroke. Extended cab, long bed. It might be a little old, but it's in decent enough shape, and has a nice towing setup. I only wish it was a 4x4. Now if I only had a trailer ... Bah, that's what the crews are for :laughing:
I am now thanking god I had money when I started out. My first rack was a system one. I got a 6x12 enclosed trailer, than a dump trailer, than upgraded my enclosed trailer last summer to a 7x14
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.