Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone w/ a customer of mine that I'm doing a fairly substantial remodel for. I started the job about 2 weeks ago.

He wanted to save some money (of coarse) so he did the tear out. He had to remove some "fake" bulk heads and my drywaller was going to just redrywall the ceiling to get rid of a stomp. I gave him a price to do this then he decided to tear out a pantry that would add quite a bit of addititional drywalling. My drywallers board hanger showed up today and hung the new drywall.

The ho calls me about 1 1/2 hours ago and says, "There's 3 sheets of drywall left, I'm going to get refunded that right?". :laughing::laughing: I haven't even given him a revision for adding the additional drywall work yet (already boarded I know bad idea but I told him it would cost about an extra 200$ for the additional work). I said to him, "I told you it was going to be about 200$ more than the original quote and you're trying to get what boils down to a 15$ refund for 3 sheets of drywall?" He said, "No, I just want to be sure I'm not getting charged for them". I told him I have no idea how my drywaller ended up w/ 3 extra sheets of drywall but it makes more sense to do that than to end up 3 short :laughing:. I don't know how he does his material lay out but no there will be no refund and it's actually going to STILL cost you about $200 more than the initial bid.

Then we got into a pissing match over the difference between bidding a whole job, what I did here, and charging t and m. This guy's insane and now I'm nervous about the rest of the job. I have 1/2 $ down and the job just started. I absolutely don't want to deal w/ chasing people and/ or arguing for my money...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,978 Posts
Give him a lien notice.

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
Your contract is either clear enough or its not.

Fixed price, he can take a hike :thumbsup:

T & M he still has to pay for your time to return the material @ $50/hr do the math ;)

We can't always get the CO's in before we do the work, so as soon as you find out send out an email (documentation...Mr. Cheapo, as the pantry was also demolished and that was outside our original scope of work, as per discussion, it will cost an addition $200 for drywalling that area).

Then get him to sign the CO the very next time you see him.

Good luck with this guy :laughing:

Don't lose your sense of humour with people like this ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a contract for the intitial work but not for the additional drywall yet. I'm going over there tomorrow morning first thing BEFORE my drywaller shows up to explain just how life works to this guy. I also delivered flooring (about 800 sq ft) and I think I'll have him sign off on the cost of the flooring plus delivery just to be on the safe side (don't need to be stuck w/ this if it get's ugly!).

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
It always pays to keep on top of the jobs. Whom did he originally tell that there would be extra work? (ie: he tore out the pantry and it would require extra drywall work)

If he just did it and told your DW contractor to fix it, your DW guy should have called you at once.

At the risk of sounding a bit harsh, why did you not meet your drywall contractor at the site before he started working? You would have noticed the discrepancy and could have addressed it immediately.

As far as the 3 extra sheets, it's none of his freaking business if your sub overstocked the job.

It sounds like you have a real PITA on your hands there as far as a HO.

Just a heads up on these types who choose to do their own demo, look carefully for things they have destroyed while doing their own version of DIY such as fractured framing members, bent copper piping, etc.

Good luck on this job. We're here to help you because I personally have been there and done that.

Let us know if we can help you as the job progresses.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,978 Posts
If he wants to make sure he gets 'credit' for three stinking sheets of drywall, just tell him that if any of your subs must purchase additional material to complete the job, you will bill him for it.

It's a two-way street he wants to play in. Make sure he knows it's not a one-way. In other words, if the painter figures 12 gallons to paint the job, and it turns out it requires 13, then the guy needs to pony up. He opened the door...... you're entitled to walk through it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I met the ho this past saturday because he wasn't happy w/ an island that was going in his kitchen, he wanted it bigger. After much discussion we both came to the conclusion that the pantry had to come out and he agreed to do that as well. While we talked and before he did tore it out I told him there would be an additional charge for the drywall and he said he understood. I should have gotten something in writing then and there but didn't have time cuz my drywaller was coming Monday, today, and I didn't have time. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Right now it's only 200$. I just don't want to deal w/ this crap for the rest of the job.

I was thinking about it though and something else occured to me. When I delivered the flooring to his house he notice there was 7 boxes of flooring (it was 140 sq ft for another job) left in my truck and started asking me all about it (like he thought I was stealing his floor or something! I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and just let him know the contract price is the contract price for the job regardless of whatever. If you (he/ the customer) add ANYTHING to it it's going to go up, but it's not coming down!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If he wants to make sure he gets 'credit' for three stinking sheets of drywall, just tell him that if any of your subs must purchase additional material to complete the job, you will bill him for it.

It's a two-way street he wants to play in. Make sure he knows it's not a one-way. In other words, if the painter figures 12 gallons to paint the job, and it turns out it requires 13, then the guy needs to pony up. He opened the door...... you're entitled to walk through it.

I'm gonna remember this for next time :clap:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I met the ho this past saturday because he wasn't happy w/ an island that was going in his kitchen, he wanted it bigger. After much discussion we both came to the conclusion that the pantry had to come out and he agreed to do that as well. While we talked and before he did tore it out I told him there would be an additional charge for the drywall and he said he understood. I should have gotten something in writing then and there but didn't have time cuz my drywaller was coming Monday, today, and I didn't have time. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Right now it's only 200$. I just don't want to deal w/ this crap for the rest of the job.

I was thinking about it though and something else occured to me. When I delivered the flooring to his house he notice there was 7 boxes of flooring (it was 140 sq ft for another job) left in my truck and started asking me all about it (like he thought I was stealing his floor or something! I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and just let him know the contract price is the contract price for the job regardless of whatever. If you (he/ the customer) add ANYTHING to it it's going to go up, but it's not coming down!!:thumbsup:
Good for you. That's the right thing to do. Most HO's dont notice things like that, and don't realize that the more of a PITA they are, the more you will play the game that they started.

It is a very well known fact among us (contractors) that the HO's that complain and demand the most end up getting ONLY what they paid for. The ones who appreciate us, leave us alone, and let us handle their concerns in a non-confrontational manner end up getting WAY more than they paid for in the way of freebies and extra attention to ensure that their project is a gem.

We'll never change the public image of contractors (because there are always going to be more hacks than legits to keep everyone suspicious), but we'll always keep trying!

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
You need to explain to the HO that you sold him an installed job, any materials that are not installed Do Not Belong to him.

You can also explain o him that it is not uncommon for a good contractor to have extra material on hand for breakage and to make sure there will be more than enough to fisnish the job without having to go pick up additional material.

One of your first mistakes was letting the HO do part of the work, the second was not getting him to sign your change order.

If I were you, I would get the change order settled and paid for before you do anymore work.

BTW your change order's should be signed and paid for before doing the work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like to type all documents for each job but I do keep blank change orders on hand. When changes come up you should be able to quote a price on the spot...fill out form...and get signed. I usually give them till the next day to make payment. Can't expect them to have a checkbook with them at all times.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I like to type all documents for each job but I do keep blank change orders on hand. When changes come up you should be able to quote a price on the spot...fill out form...and get signed. I usually give them till the next day to make payment. Can't expect them to have a checkbook with them at all times.
Why not, the job is being done at the clients house?

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
I would have gave him 20 bucks for the drywall (final invoice credit) just to avoid this situation. Even if you do piss further than him, it's just not worth arguing over 10:00am coffee break money.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
As has been stated many times here. DO NOT LEAVE EXCESS MATERIAL LYING AROUND.

This is just asking for the very thing that happened... and happens all the time, all over the country.
If it is sitting on the job, a large percentage of Homeowners consider it theirs. Including partially used buckets of anything.

Teach your men to start slowly and quietly restocking the truck with "extra" material BEFORE the end of the job. Preferably a day or two earlier.

Call it dumb and wasteful if you want to, but it is one good way to avoid this traditional headache.

And don't forget that homeowners often just TAKE some of what they consider THEIR material anytime they feel like it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually went over there today and talked to him and he didn't mention it once plus he signed off on the change order. Whatever, maybe I got through when I talked to him last night because he acted like there was no big deal :thumbsup:.

So I guess all is well, I'll just hope he was having a bad day and nothing like this happens on this job again! The other thing about it that was a little surprising is that I assumed we had a good relationship so this caught me off gaurd. In the long run I guess it's a good thing because it forced me to dot my I's and cross my T's. All my paperwork on this one is current :thumbup:.

Also, it wasn't about the 20$ as much as I had to nail this one right away so he didn't think anything in the future would be the same- the price is what it is and if you add to it, it will be more!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I actually went over there today and talked to him and he didn't mention it once plus he signed off on the change order. Whatever, maybe I got through when I talked to him last night because he acted like there was no big deal :thumbsup:.

So I guess all is well, I'll just hope he was having a bad day and nothing like this happens on this job again! The other thing about it that was a little surprising is that I assumed we had a good relationship so this caught me off gaurd. In the long run I guess it's a good thing because it forced me to dot my I's and cross my T's. All my paperwork on this one is current :thumbup:.

Also, it wasn't about the 20$ as much as I had to nail this one right away so he didn't think anything in the future would be the same- the price is what it is and if you add to it, it will be more!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've had that hapen so often over the years. If you delvier extra material they think it's theirs.
Years ago, we had delivered some extra cedar to a site. The homeowner stained it all over the weekend. When the job was done I had about $300 in stained cedar that was not used. One guess as to whether the customer paid for it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts