Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill try to make this short but clear. About 15 years ago I had a customer that wanted some steps and a sidewalk poured I was only a few years in gave the wife a $ ,start date no money no contract ( I was new and trying to go on their word), she called me about a week and a half early and said her husband brought home a skidsteer from work , he couldnt run it but wanted to know if I would come out and dig out sod ect. I said no I cant leave the job I'm on, she said well if you dont want to save us money forget it.:eek: Fastforward to today her husband called needs work done I said ill come out and look at it where do you live? after he told me I said Ive been there remindined him of past story. He paused and said oh she must have been in one of her moods. He seems ok and I never met him the other time. Im not mad as it taught me a lesson but just wondering your thoughts, pita tax, telling them Im too busy, does she still have mood swings..lol what would you do? I have alot of work right now so thats not the issue...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no it was that short,lol good idea he seems ok and this time It will be contract and $ up front. Wasnt a big deal just stuff no one elese but people in our line of work deal with..wasnt sure what Im gonna do...

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
your post is second guessing your gut!!!! .... never, and i mean never second guess your gut!! especially when you're busy
You are probably right about that. Even if he keeps her histrionics away from him, he has to deal with it after work and her influence could come into play.

I had to recall a bit but had almost this exact case once and I told him I would deal with HIM only. I did the job on a weekend and she was there whining and complaining at him about everything including personal matters she screamed out the front door for all their neighbors to hear. She just wouldn't let up on him especially after I told her I would only deal with her husband.

We ended up going for a "parts run" together for a simple light bulb after the job was actually done and ended up at the bar for a couple drinks. I felt so bad for him since he was a really nice guy.:sad:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a small job last year where the client(s) was a PITA. They called me months later to get on my schedule for a bigger job. Of course they want it done the next week.
Told them I was 3 months out on my work when actually I was about a few weeks out at the time.
It was my polite way of saying "I dont want to work for you".
Funny thing is the wife was the good one where the husband was the PITA.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I've learned to really enjoy telling people no. Its part of not having a boss to tell you what to do. I would definitely enjoy telling these people no and why. Maybe they will be nicer if they know people remember them as annoying from 15 years ago.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
FrankSmith said:
I've learned to really enjoy telling people no. Its part of not having a boss to tell you what to do. I would definitely enjoy telling these people no and why. Maybe they will be nicer if they know people remember them as annoying from 15 years ago.
It's a delicate balance between "summarily" telling a particular customer NO, now, and then waiting for the phone to ring in the winter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I had all the same thoughts If I just deal with him is she gonna make his life a pain, should I just bid it and see,or just walk , Ill let ya know how it turns out and thanks again.:thumbup:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a whole lot more being read into a situation that happened 15 years ago, rather than basing it on the facts of today. You said yourself, you were pretty green at the time.

Reading some of the posts in this & other threads, there's no way some of you guys would survive in business in a small community. It's easy to take a superior attitude when it's all feast, but during the famine portion of the year, I bet you'd be tickled that these people gave you the opportunity to bid their work.

Sometimes, I bid & do work that I really don't want to do. I can't count how many times those people knew people & sang my praises to their friends & colleagues & I ended up doing more work, just because I suffered through a PITA client. It's all about networking & word of mouth in rural America.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Id at least meet with them. Pinwheel said it well. Sure you're busy now but you're never too busy when you get a slow spell. Ive had instances like this go either way. Don't cheat yourself out of a customer and ines they might bring you.

Having said that, Id definitely keep my guard up. And bull**** meter set on high. Make sure they're not just getting free info from you.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I would probably pass on it unless I really needed the job. A PITA husband might stay in the background but there's no way a PITA wife will. You'll be dealing with her again even if you never speak to her. Part of success is knowing what not to do.

·
Owner/Worker
31 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a whole lot more being read into a situation that happened 15 years ago, rather than basing it on the facts of today. You said yourself, you were pretty green at the time.

Reading some of the posts in this & other threads, there's no way some of you guys would survive in business in a small community. It's easy to take a superior attitude when it's all feast, but during the famine portion of the year, I bet you'd be tickled that these people gave you the opportunity to bid their work.

Sometimes, I bid & do work that I really don't want to do. I can't count how many times those people knew people & sang my praises to their friends & colleagues & I ended up doing more work, just because I suffered through a PITA client. It's all about networking & word of mouth in rural America.
Amen! Owning a business in a small town is a challenge. You can post signs and ads in every form but, when the people meet at the common hotspots (2 markets, one post office, one hardware store, the landfill) a lot of information is exchanged and those conversations will make or break you. You have to deal with the PITA factor or find a darned good reason why you "can't" do the work. So far I've managed to balance it though it really sucks sometimes. I think that sometimes the PITA customers are really good people and mean well but are just a pain in my azz but smile, act nice and realize that that's the way it goes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have plenty of work walk away, she will make his life heck and then you will get the story, sorry man the wife is really coming down on me. Had it happen both ways. Man or woman. I try to avoid this at all cost. Be thinking of lawsuits, no payment, someone bad mouthing your work to all.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,906 Posts
If that was 15 years ago, maybe he got her trained by now:blink:

Look at the job and give them a price. If you don't want the job bid it really high. Get a signed contract that protects your interests in the job too. And when they ***** just pull out the contract and point at the area that they have a problem with and tell them you signed it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts