Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This lead came in today. Who would actually go waste time to bid this job. I was saying to myself this guy has alot of balls. Unbelievable , Here it is
Hi,

I am looking for someone to redo my front porch. The bricks are
crumbling and need to be replaced. Would like bricks replaced with as
close color as possible to bricks on house.

Also any advice to prevent this from reoccuring? Is there any kind of
sealant to prevent salt from harming the new bricks?

I am deaf and expect a low quote, but good work. I live in Rochester
Hills off of South Blvd.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well with the horrible economy (contractors are starving to death, committing suicide because they can't pay their bills) you should be extremely grateful that he emailed you. As a matter of fact you should take him out to a nice 5 star restaurant for dinner. Remember to profusely thank him for the opportunity to bid.

When you bid keep in mind the super bad economy (wouldn't want you to starve to death or commit suicide) and offer to do the job at 10% below your cost. Beg a little, show him pictures of your starving children, remind him of your trucks empty fuel tank.

Then since he's disabled give him a 50% discount. He earned it just for being a disabled person. Smile a lot.

Do the best job possible. You're Michaelangelo working on the Sistine Chapel.

Remember to get paid in cash. Cash has magical abilities to reduce overhead to zero. Through the mystical powers of cash you will turn a profit on this. It's magic.

When it comes time for final payment refuse to accept it. You're so grateful for work in this bad economy you'd rather have him hand out your business cards to his friends and family. Shed tears of gratitude.

That's the business model for working now. See you after the recession!

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
Speaking of special consideration.

If I have a spastic colon can I ask for a deal on toilet paper?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Speaking of special consideration.

If I have a spastic colon can I ask for a deal on toilet paper?
Maybe Charmin can give you a sponsorship? Do some TV and radio ads talking about how Charmin helps you deal with a spastic colon. Wear Charmin logo shirts wherever you go. Public speaking engagements about how Charmin helps your colon?

People that play the disability/fixed income/religion/etc. card right off the bat to get a discount are annoying.

That's not to say i don't have a heart. I do. Case in point, there's a Army Reservist down in Lewiston that came home from Iraq in a wheelchair. I take care of her property for free. She never asked for a discount, she signed a contract for $55 a week. I just never send her a bill.

The key difference is she didn't ask for any special consideration.

The people that start off with "I'm (insert disability here) and need (insert project here) done as cheap as possible because I'm (insert disability here)" are just annoying.

Veterans automatically get a good deal. No mark up on material and I really sharpen my pencil.

Possibly the most annoying are the folks that play the religious card. Some act downright offended when I tell them the project will cost them money. Just because we go to the same church doesn't mean I'll build you a 800 square foot paver patio with outdoor wet kitchen for free.

Eh, it's life ad there's 5 billion plus people on this rock. Odds are some of them will feel entitled to special deals just because. They balance out the folks that pay on time and are nice to deal with. That whole Ying Yang thing.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
That's not to say i don't have a heart. I do. Case in point, there's a Army Reservist down in Lewiston that came home from Iraq in a wheelchair. I take care of her property for free. She never asked for a discount, she signed a contract for $55 a week. I just never send her a bill.

Thank you
The key difference is she didn't ask for any special consideration.

The people that start off with "I'm (insert disability here) and need (insert project here) done as cheap as possible because I'm (insert disability here)" are just annoying.

Veterans automatically get a good deal. No mark up on material and I really sharpen my pencil. Again thank you

Possibly the most annoying are the folks that play the religious card. Some act downright offended when I tell them the project will cost them money. Just because we go to the same church doesn't mean I'll build you a 800 square foot paver patio with outdoor wet kitchen for free.

Eh, it's life ad there's 5 billion plus people on this rock. Odds are some of them will feel entitled to special deals just because. They balance out the folks that pay on time and are nice to deal with. That whole Ying Yang thing.
Some of my best paying customers are the ones that go to work and bust their asses for little to nothing everyday....Then you get some schmuck that shines a seat with his ass everyday making good money wants to bust your balls for trying to make a living.

I also give, but never to someone who asks.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Some of my best paying customers are the ones that go to work and bust their asses for little to nothing everyday....Then you get some schmuck that shines a seat with his ass everyday making good money wants to bust your balls for trying to make a living.

I also give, but never to someone who asks.

...cause they'll never stop asking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I swear, after reading some of the stories in here I'm amazed that anyone who needs a contractor ever gets one! I had an appointment last week with a HOA board member to discuss some repairs that were needed to the building. Nothing major, some exterior painting, little bit of landscaping, some small drainage issues and a 65' section of wood fencing that needed replacing. After listening to her heartache story (HOA funds were low etc) I explained to her that I was still not officially licensed by the state and that I would be happy to give her a bid but that until I was licensed I could not and would not start the work and that based on when I got my license I would have to review the original bid to make sure that the cost was still within the ball park. She understood but keep repeating to me "give us a good deal...." I told her I would give her my price... and hopefully my price was a price they could afford. I have decided that I have one price and one price only, the one I charge and unless your my brother, sister or mother... there isn't much I can do for ya in the way of "discounts".

·
Registered
497 Posts
This lead came in today. Who would actually go waste time to bid this job. I was saying to myself this guy has alot of balls. Unbelievable , Here it is
Hi,

Hills off of South Blvd.

Thanks!
Scott
So what specifically, makes you think he won't buy from you? Just what if, what if he's like every other prospect in the world and wants to feel like he's getting a good deal? Do you have any customers who say "Hey, I've got lot's of money so don't worry about the price?". Forgive me if I sound a little smug, I've only done this for 39 years, so I'm still learning. Your reaction sounds like a hundred salesmen I've had over the years who judge a lead by the address, the first name, and anything else that will make a good excuse for not doing their job.

I'd look at that email a little differently. Call me an optimist but I don't see why it's such a horrible lead. It all depends on what you read into the words. Saying you want a low price is just part of the game.

"I am looking for someone to redo my front porch."
He's looking for someone, doesn't have anyone yet.

"The bricks are crumbling and need to be replaced. Would like bricks replaced with as close color as possible to bricks on house."
He has a need, it's not a luxury. There is a sense of urgency with a need. He is also indicating that he has some class, wants the job to match. Not looking for a CL hack just to get him by.

"Also any advice to prevent this from reoccuring? Is there any kind of sealant to prevent salt from harming the new bricks?"
Sounds like he respects your opinion, he's asking for your advice. That great positioning to have.

"I am deaf and expect a low quote, but good work."
Maybe he's just letting you know he has a handicap, and just because he has one, doesn't want to be taken advantage of.

In answer to your question...."Who would actually go waste time to bid this job?" I would. Although I don't think it's a waste of time for the same reasons you do. I'm not so busy I can't invest a little time in anyone who "needs" my services.

What is it that you have to lose if you simply flip your perception around and believe the guy is a legit prospect? Perception is reality.

Hey, I'm not looking to fight, I just think sometimes in this economy we all get to crying in our beer and need our butts kicked back into reality. He has a need, you can fill that need. Until you know a lot more about his situation, it is very hard to predict the outcome of a sales call. If you don't make the sales call, I can predict with 100% accuracy that you will not sell the job.

If he is in your trade area, go find out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with Bill Z A job is a job .The price is the price . I could see my way clear to throw him my standard civil service / senior citizen , blind guy def guy hot house wife discount of 10% for his business :whistling. I haven't had many high rollers coming my way in the past few months .
I don't know about you guys but , Ive been creating jobs out of thin air all summer . I sold 2 room additions (Today ) I guess ill be eating this winter, but I didn't think either of them would come up with the money and both wanted it CHEEPPPPP . Both jobs payed fair market value .:thumbup: John

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hi,

Hills off of South Blvd.

Thanks!
Scott
Mr. Intra,
Please give me a price on my brickwork. You are the only contractor in the world. Please crucify me with your price. I will be in the fetal position awaiting your reply.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts