Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Eater of sins.
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner is converting this house to an R-3.1 assisted living facility and was hoping to be able to use this existing 2nd story deck.

I had to tell him that it was never approved by the city, Laguna Hills, CA. and that I didn't feel like I even needed to check for previous building permits on it. "And just how do I know that?" he asked.

You guys tell me.

The pictures do not do this hideous, cringe inducing nightmare justice.

What do you guys think?

In the last picture I tried to show the roof deck over the garage (same house) wherein some Newtonian genius decided that it would be a good idea to cut out the webbing from 6 trusses in order to increase his storage area there.
The roof plane dips about 8-10" in the center.

Andy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Other than the chit brown color & the crooked light fixture what pray tell could be wrong with that structure?...:whistling:laughing:

Perhaps it would be more appropriate for an "assisted suicide" establishment...

·
Super Moderator
44,681 Posts
I've always wondered why someone puts just as much work into doing something wrong as it would take to do it right. If doing it wrong took half the work It can at least be explained that the person was lazy. Just doesn't make since.

·
Super Moderator
30,022 Posts
I've always wondered why someone puts just as much work into doing something wrong as it would take to do it right. If doing it wrong took half the work It can at least be explained that the person was lazy. Just doesn't make since.
Because they don't know how to do it right ;)

Sure, they can study up and look at other decks being built, but thats work :whistling:blink::no:

·
Hack
3,034 Posts
You know, I just don't get it.
Here is another prime example that is often talked about on this forum; another shining example...another chance for everyone to to see.
And still nobody gets it....

These guys are going to revolutionize the way construction is done with these type of cost and time saving building practices, and you all just want to poke fun and miss the boat. This is the way of the future.:jester:

·
Super Moderator
44,681 Posts
asevereid said:
You know, I just don't get it.
Here is another prime example that is often talked about on this forum; another shining example...another chance for everyone to to see.
And still nobody gets it....

These guys are going to revolutionize the way construction is done with these type of cost and time saving building practices, and you all just want to poke fun and miss the boat. This is the way of the future.:jester:
It is the way of my future, that's for sure. I will always have work in the future as long as there are these type of builders around.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The owner is converting this house to an R-3.1 assisted living facility and was hoping to be able to use this existing 2nd story deck.

I had to tell him that it was never approved by the city, Laguna Hills, CA. and that I didn't feel like I even needed to check for previous building permits on it. "And just how do I know that?" he asked.

You guys tell me.

Andy.
OK Guys.... I'm a dumb ass.....(no insult to Domass) but Andy asked us what we saw wrong.

We've had 11 replys all saying it looks like crap... but no one has stepped forward to identify problems/issues.

I'll try to start....from what we can see.... lack of sufficient joists... maybe lack of ledger but we can't tell if it's cantilivered.... and lack of 4" spaced railing... probable lack of X-bracing posting... but can't be sure.

I can't tell if posting/beaming is insufficient... can you... nor footings... pier capping...

I'm not saying it's worth a She It .... just wondering what everyone could see.

Best

·
Punching above his weight
13,601 Posts
OK, I'll give it a shot.

To the deckbuilder: Your commitment to nailing things together is admirable. Your joist spacing skills will improve with time, and the purchase of a tape measure. Hell, a stick with even increments notched onto it....

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
OK Guys.... I'm a dumb ass.....(no insult to Domass) but Andy asked us what we saw wrong.

We've had 11 replys all saying it looks like crap... but no one has stepped forward to identify problems/issues.

I'll try to start....from what we can see.... lack of sufficient joists... maybe lack of ledger but we can't tell if it's cantilivered.... AND LACK OF 4" SPACED RAILING... probable lack of X-bracing posting... but can't be sure.

I can't tell if posting/beaming is insufficient... can you... nor footings... pier capping...

I'm not saying it's worth a She It .... just wondering what everyone could see.

Best
I thought it was less than 4", It is here in FL.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts