Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, bear with me, but:

What is your favorite tool?

Now I don't mean the hammer you grand pappy forged with the iron he dug up in the hills and the hickory tree handle he grew from a seedling, and passed down to you on his death bed!

This has to be a tool that when you need it, there is nothing else that will do the job, or because of it your work turns the corner from being okay to being right on.

I will nominate 2, the first is the recip saw, often there are times when I reach for that tool and think, Thank God I have it, that thing is just the only answer some times.

The second would be a power planer. Sure you could plane by hand, but you probably wouldn't just because of the time involved and you would work around it with a shim or something instead of reaching for the power planer and getting such awesome results. I just used it on the deck I'm building, because of the unique decking pattern I had a crazy amount of joists and blocking to support the decking correctly. Even really trying to get those damn joists to all be level, I still ended up with uneveness that would have telegraphed into the decking, but with the power planer I just trim here and there in about 5 minutes and everything was A-okay after that!

So now that you know what I mean, what is that one or two tools that just get the job done when nothing else would, you don't use them everyday, but when you do need them you are happy they are there, they make all the difference in your work?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My favorite is the RotoZip. I think that it is unmatched for versitility. I bought a kit for $99.00 and added the circle cutter, the kit came with the 90 deg. head and a bunch of accessories. The cutoff wheel will zip through a padlock and slice through SS braided hose, the grinding wheel matches any of my 3 1/2 grinders, sanding disks equal a RoLock and the 3M abrasive disks handle the finer tasks of rust removal and polishing.
As a rotary saw it's great for roughout in all materials including fiberglass and tile, doesn't do bad finish work if you're careful. With the circle attachment it's great for installing speakers.
Not done yet! It also makes a pretty decent finish router and you can buy a 1/4" drill chuck (other places) so you can drill holes too!
I know that I have left out some other things but the RotoZip is one of my favorites. Warrantee is par exelance! I had a problem with my first one and everything was handled in a most professional manner. I can't say enough about the treatment that I recieved there.
They are now owned by Dremel which is owned by Bosch.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have got to agree with Teetorbilt on this one !!!
My Rotozip has got to be the Most Versatile Tool we have on any of our jobs. Since the first time I used it, this tool has Never Failed me. It has been used and abused on all sorts of materials and applications. This tool is "Most Useful" in the hands of a "Craftsman !!! Let me qualify that statement by mentioning the amont of Damage that this tool can do very quickly if not used properly. The carbide bits cost enough to be "Very Valuable." I have a cordless Dremmel tool also but it just wont stand up next to the :
Rotozip !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Theirs so many, it's hard to pick just one.

The tool I find the most versatile is my pressure washer.

I've used it to do so many things I can remember them all.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I'm a tool 'junkie', and to me the #1 tool for being the 'only' one that can do a 'particular' job is the SDS Hammer Drill. I have a Black and Decker (industrial) in one truck, and a Bosch in the other.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Next item on my list is the radial arm saw. This tool is getting a lot of bad press lately.
For flooring it is the ultimate tool. It rips, it miters and, if you bought a good one, accepts some dado blades that allows it to rabbit which means that you can fabricate your own transitions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts