Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input on how to deal with this integrated baseboard / shoe with a 3/4" hardwood floor install.

R & R it is not in the cards. I placed a piece of the mfg's qtr round up to it and it doesn't work.

Is there a solution other than running a Crane saw along all of it or dado the botton of the new pre finished shoe mold ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike - The rooms where the install is have carpet over them now. Plywood subfloor under the carpet. The pics are from the adjacent kitchen where there is a good view of the base.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there a reason why you can't remove and re-use the old base? Or you may try to run the new shoe thru a table saw to put a slight bevel on the bottom.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
The ¾" wood flooring is going to take up most of that heel on the baseboard. You may have to shave the back of the ¼ round, to get by any heel left exposed above the ¾" wood flooring.

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
Velly interestink; Never seen Intergrated base and shoe. Looks more like std clam base with door stop for shoe. Looks like "flipper" dealy.
Just pull it off,install floor, reinstall it if you really want that ratty look :}

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Willing to help, but confused:eek:. G

Maybe i understand, if the shoe is part of the base, run a knife down the edge, chissel the shoe off. lay the floor, most of the damaged area will be hidden, then add new shoe. G

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,728 Posts
Wouldn't having an integrated shoe defeat the pourpose of the shoe in the first place?

Remove the molding and put it back when you are done. If you didn't price it into the job - what were you thinking. I assume R&R means remove and replace.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It just looks terrible..I can not imagine with new floors.
This is point where I do not get it..you or your client commited to spend 1000's of dollars to improve(!) the place..what is the cost ratio of new floors/old base vs new floor/new base replacing it with new crisp base?
I had dealt with clients saying" Ohh we want to keep this","it looks Ok to me" etc.because they assume it is costly.Somehow I convinced them to do it right or it will not me who is gonna do the job half right.
half job=half impression=half referals=half profits

·
Banned
917 Posts
This is where I just dont let a HO make decisions, base is coming off. If I had been in that situation and HO mentioned no base removal I would have mumbled ok then taken it off anyway, nobody is gonna tell me how to do my work.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,728 Posts
It is always possible that the OP left out some details, such as, the walls are plaster and the base molding is grounded under it and can't be removed without destroying the plaster. Lots of older homes are built that way. This doesn't look that way, but the molding looks like it could be an older variety.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts