Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bag of porcelain specific thinset today, for a porcelain tile countertop I'm building. A question came to mind; what is different about the thin set made specifically for porcelain?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That's like saying I got 50 watt speakers...it really doesn't mean fvck all and is up to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'd be interested in an explanation as well.

I can't think of a reason why a stickier product would be necessary.

I wonder when I install porcelain on desshield or a hydro-banned surface how long it takes to cure. If you have ever removed a tile after a day, you notice that the mortar around the edges of the tile is set up much more than the mortar under the tile.

Contrast with a porcelain tile set on durock or a concrete slab, where the surface wicks away moisture very quickly.

Now contrast this with a ceramic tile on durock or concrete, where it wicks in both directions.

Must be like night and day when it comes to cure times.

So if had to offer up a mortar for porcelain, it would be some formula which would somehow cure better with very much less hydration.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Must be like night and day when it comes to cure times.
It is, but it still cures. It will set up under water. I think "stickier" is supposedly required because of porcelain's lack of absorption. A good dry set will bond porcelain just as well but the problem is most dry sets are crap. Ditra set works very well and it is a dry set. Personally I use modified on everything. Screw Schluter and their stupid double standards.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You must have been to lowes to buy that thinset .
The other day I was in a gas station and an older guy was in front of me , I said are you from Jersey ? He said yes, it was the Yoo-Hoo he was buying.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was at lowes. I have never done a tile countertop so I'm doing one in my rec room. My distributor is closed on Sundays which seems like when I'm tackling stuff around the house.
When I was a bartender in Aspen I could always spot a Jersey girl. They smoked Parliament Lights ;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What size tile? When I worked at Lowes, the larger tile they recommended ultra 2 for better bond, over 16" I think they recommend LFT for better strength.
I think they re named the thinset for homeowner types to upgrade/ upsell the stuff.
Precisions on the right track about absorption of porcelain and "latex" bonding.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
tjbnwi said:
Here they have Mapie Ultraflex 1, 2 & 3 and Porcelain tile mortar. The 1, 2 & 3 are for different wet areas. Tom
The mapei rep told me they are just ultraflex in them bags and they made them idiot proof for the lowes tribe.

They used to have ultraflex 1 and 2 on the shelves here but all 4 lowes close to me stopped selling it like that.

·
Registered
13,386 Posts
I've use all 3, each has a different feel. The 3 is far more "sticky" than the 1 and the Porclien has a a different feel on the trowel than the 3.

Tom

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I can't return a bag from distributor to lowes vice versa because of the labeling, distributors still have it ultra labeled ultra 2.
So I tell the guy at the distributor that he must have quoted me the price wrong because at lowes it's like 22? And dist. It's 13? Sometimes lowes is cheaper on other stuff of Mapei's

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It is, but it still cures. It will set up under water. I think "stickier" is supposedly required because of porcelain's lack of absorption. A good dry set will bond porcelain just as well but the problem is most dry sets are crap. Ditra set works very well and it is a dry set. Personally I use modified on everything. Screw Schluter and their stupid double standards.
x2 every word.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts