Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a precut(templated and cut by local granite supplier) 3 piece black granite fireplace surround. The substrate is brick. Should a modified thinset be used or would standard non-modified thinset be adequate?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The best thinset you can get, flat trowel both granite and brick(make sure brick is not sealed), then comb, place and work into thinset . How you keep header piece from falling I don't know.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just use duct tape. It's even cheaper than unmodified thinset. You can buy an order of french fries with the savings.

WIN!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Just use duct tape. It's even cheaper than unmodified thinset. You can buy an order of french fries with the savings.

WIN!
I used chewing gum onetime to glaze in some broken glass in the dormitory when at school.... hey, when you are on a limited budget...:whistling

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
How thick is the granite (really, what is it's weight) and is the surround configured such that any adhesive (thin set, PL, LN, or chewing gum) will be bearing all weight or will the stile sides be supported by the hearth and will they be supporting the header part.

Also, is the back side of the granite still rough.... I've seen some of the forign supply mines polish both sides... (why, I don't know...a yard salemen said they were polishing the lip side and just do the whole thing???)

(I've put brick (and facia brick) up with liquid nails and no problem. Because of the lid part of a large inset inset, I had to do it in small sections and didn't want to mess with multiple batches of thinset.)

I'd be interested in knowing the relative adhesive strengths of a fortified thinset verse LN or PL Construction. Just curious....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Liquid Nail will stain marble and granite due to oils it contains. Granite /marble weighs around 17 lbs. square foot for 3 or 4 Centimeter , can't remember the sh. Is heavy.
Good detail questions!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt see the finished product yet so I dont know if the back is polished or not. I believe its 3/4" thick and the sides will support the header when installed. The homeowner told me that when they did the template, the granite company said they might be able to make it in one piece. The area is not large, maybe 10" wide stiles and 12" wide header. He wants me to install it instead of the granite supplier( I guess he trusts me more than than the suppliers installers) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
One piece would be sweet, you should be so lucky, I've been out of granite setting over 10 years, it is nice work, always high end. Don't bump the dam legs on something or you own it, transporting is tricky , and tilting is tricky . Get ya a tube of black silicone as well as some soapy (dawn) spray bottle water. For dressing any edges up. Always have joints 1/16" on bottom to be able to remove adjoining material in future.
Don't get cocky if you do well on this one, say countertops in a kitchen , the stuff cracks if not handled or set properly , and is expensive to replace. I know!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm starting to think the same about doing the job. I might just back out and let the granite company do it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the all the advice. I could handle fitting and trimming if it didn't fit, but this one, for all its worth money wise isn't worth the potential headaches it could cause down the line if something fails.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I thought a few times of doing the same thing with countertops but how much would I save the customer, or how much could they charge to set in place, or could I make, the money's in the fabrication, not the setting.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm not guessing, slot the back with a. 4" blade if it's "polished " I highly doubt it due to cost, to create locking of the silicone into the granite, just spots the size of a baseball In key areas. There's no load bearing in it, and it dam near stands up on its own . Should it need to come out in future a hacksaw blade can severe the silicone for removal .

·
commercial
124 Posts
thanks for the all the advice. I could handle fitting and trimming if it didn't fit, but this one, for all its worth money wise isn't worth the potential headaches it could cause down the line if something fails.
stick with it and install it.your work is everything. take your time, do it right and there should be no issues.

recommendations and word of mouth go a long way.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Granite, marble , glass, even drywall as an example , always carry upright not flat. Set it down on soft material (carpeted 2x4's) and lean on wall. Sink and bowl areas are weak and will crack front and back. Just info, you never know what the hell you'll be doing down the road.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Granite, marble , glass, even drywall as an example , always carry upright not flat. Set it down on soft material (carpeted 2x4's) and lean on wall. Sink and bowl areas are weak and will crack front and back. Just info, you never know what the hell you'll be doing down the road.
^^^^^:thumbsup:

One piece surround would scare me as to handling.... with two legs that could be prone to cracking/breaking.

One factor to consider, I don't think you identified the type granite... but even though it all appears to be solid rock, different types (Galaxy/Baltic/Ubbatuba etc) have different structural properties. Some are structuraly weak... somee strong.

Good to know it's properties before you take the liability of handling/transporting/installing it.

I've installed simple slabs with drop in sinks.... Bought prefinished counter tops and cut the drop-in after install..... for a prefinished undermount sink, even with the epoxied metal support bar in it.... I sure would not attempt install.... had the installers crack one one time...... and they were being carefull.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts