Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First post. I popped a ceiling tile to run some coax in the basement and discovered the tub drain in very bad shape. You know how one thing leads to the next and since about the only way to redo this drain is from above I finally have the excuse I needed to gut the bathroom and lose the PINK bathtub.

Anyway I will be taking the floor down to the 1 x 6 subfloor planking and building up from there with ply, cement board and ceramic. I want to match the height of the existing oak in the hall. My question is what do you guys figure that thinset adds to the floor height. I know I need 1/4 trowel between the cement board and floor and 1/4 again for the tile. I would imagine that each layer of thinset has to end up adding about an 1/8 inch?

I hope I am making sense. Thanks

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
1/8" is right. If you're scratching the bottom with a trowel then the notch height will get cut in half with a properly set tile. If you're totally new to this then you might end up with more like 3/16".

Welcome to CT! Introduce yourself in the Introductions section.

It's better to hit up the DIY Forum(link is all the way at the bottom of the page) for DIY stuff. Most of the questions and answers on here are for stuff we do professionally.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Depends on the tile you use. A thin mosaic takes a smaller trowel than a 12x12 with 3/8x1/4. And if that 12x12 is stone or marble, you might go to an even larger trowel. Pick your tile and ask again.

·
DO IT RIGHT
107 Posts
You have it wrong.First of all,there should be 3/8"of thin set under the CBU.Second,I dont know what size tile you are using but 1/4" of thin set is not enough under the tile,as has been mentioned.Minimum should be 3/8.If you are 18x18"or over,it should be 1/2".ALSO the tile should be back buttered for positive adhesion,witch adds a little more.Are you going to water proof the sub strate?At least two coats of Red guard?Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts