Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, just want to say this site is an awesome resorce! A little background, A few years ago I used to be the parts sandblasting booth operator for a small engine shop in my neighborhood, and in my area I dont know anyone who does blasting of big stuff like trucks and tractors. So I got the idea of going into blasting on the side.

Now theres several ways I could go about doing this. I already have a service body truck with a IR 10HP gas compressor on board, so I could get a new small $300 unit that features 1/2 plumbing or I could get a diesel air compressor and get a larger sandblasting pot with a metering valve. What is the best way to start out to test the waters? Start small or dont bother?

I found a 350lb empire pot with 50 ft hose this guy has for $300 just laying there. Im going to look at it this weekend, its like 2 hours away. he says hes never used it and knows nothing about it, been sitting for 2 years. What should I look out for? It looks like the first project would be the pot itself. Assuming I could get a larger compressor, Would this be a good idea to start with or dont bother? (photo below)

And last, Is there more money to be made with people bringing you stuff to blast to your builing or having a mobile setup? I envision having liability issues from the dust with a mobile setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
First off. That pot is going to need a lot of work and parts. You would probably be better off buying one in working condition. Second, your 10HP compressor is not going to do it, even with a small blast pot. Spend some time and read back through the various post on here and get a better idea of what is taking place. There is money to be made if you can find the work. Most people out there that has home projects that they want blasted pretty much want you to blast the parts and expect you to pay them for the honor. So it is a risky buisness. And yes, nobody likes the dust. If you take the pot that is shown, it looks like you will need to buy a new grit valve, Remotes, probably a new plunger, plumbing, because that plumbing is really outdated, and no telling what the inside looks like. And the blast hose. You could probably toss it in the garbage due to dry rot. Have fun with the new adventure. You can make it if you want to.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Remots are going to cost you about $500 to put on this pot. Plumbing about $200 with new valves, I know I just purchased 3 new 1 1/4" brass ball valves and all the plumbing for my Schmidt. The metering valve might be slvagable. I paid $500.00 for my first used Clemco 600# pot with remots. They are out there you just have to look. Im no professional but I have always been told that you need a minimum of 185CFM to be any where close to being productive. Do what painter said and skim through the past posts.. You will see that I was in your boat 2 years ago. I keep some what busy for part time work. It seems my money maker is mobile graffiti removal and trailers being dropped off.

And this is only the start of what you will need.

$489.50

$186.20

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Killzone is right, look on ebay and craigs list, and other sites for sale of a used pot. you might find one for much beter price that is read to go.

a 185 cfm is the smallest you want, if running a 3/4 or larger hose.

a 10 hp will only run a small hand sucktion feed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. after I added all that up, it came out to be about $1400, guess Ill keep looking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would start larger too. I've done a lot of research lately as I'm in the middle of starting up my business. If you showed up with one of the small home garage blasters you aren't going to be able to get things done in a timely manner. Find a deal on a bigger compressor and get a good pot.

Good luck,
John

·
2,018 Posts
I started just blasting for myself over 14 years ago, small compressor from sears and a 80 pressure pot, Didn't figure on doing business for other people.
Out of the blue People started to find me, and I quickly figured out that I was really underpowered.

After going to work Blasting for a Navy contractor, I learned that size matters if you want to make money.

1st - the heart of the whole business is AIR. At least a 185 CFM to make money.

2nd- with air, almost any pot will run like there’s no tomorrow. But get one that you don't have to keep stopping to fill. One that you could at least blast for 1/2 hour or so. Time is money.

3rd- Safety, Respirators, air lines, filters and all that stuff. Find out how to do it right without going to the hospital with bad lungs or eyes.

Most of us on here was trial and era starting out. I wish I know about this site when I started blasting. It would have saved a lot of time and money. Plus a lot of playing around.
Take your time, read lots of post. There’s lots of great info from people that have been there before.

Just remember, if you are thinking about Blasting at least part time, spend the money once and do it right the first time. ( it may grow into Full time)

Good luck to you.
-Jim

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Hi 1899. You asked about mobile or having a shop. That can go either way. With a shop you can get a lot of little stuff that you could never go on the road for while you wait for the larger jobs and once people know you are there you get a lot of repeat work with out really needing to advertise.And if it's on a main street you can put up a sign. But then you have rent and other over head.

On the road only means you have to advertise more. But at least if there isn't any work you are not really loosing anything. Do you have any good options you know of for a shop?

·
2,018 Posts

If you have a shop to use, try offering that only for a while see how it goes. after blasting in shop for a while you will get the feel for what you will need to go mobile.

I started out "mobile only" and ended up useing my shop as a blast booth.
now I do more in shop. I like walking to work in the morning.

Good income is Cars and trucks. hit all the local cars guys with a cards and flyers.
You can make them cheep on a computer.

Do you have prior Blast experence 1899?

·
2,018 Posts
Ya, I think the Add says $1500 each. ones new. Its a marco... It's worth more that he's selling for!!!

I payed around $3600. for mine just a year ago. (it's only a 3.5 cu)

his are 600 cu. even with shipping its a deal!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/1507120249.html

Kill did you find your 12v valve & coil yet, if you find a good deal on them let us know!
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts