Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Rehoboth beach area . How's the work there . Is it new construction or remoldeing work . Is there state license or local ones . Where is the money at commercial or residential side .

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I lived a couple years in laurel as a kid, girls loved talking to a northerner and I loved loving them lol

Flat and boring as I recall, but we were close too the md border so getting out of tickets was kinda easy!!

Ocean city was close by and cool for never seeing an ocean before!!

Rehobeth was kinda boring compared to ocean city ,

I learned to crab in rehobeth also piece of chicken on a string and pull it up slow!!

Never cooked them before so hearing them scream kinda sucked and watching them climb out sucked worse but man were they good!!

Oh and I learned nikes were lame you needed a pair of vans!!

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Oh he'll yea , first thing I did when my girls were born was too move back to the country!!!!

It will be like time slowed down living there !

I need to take my kids there to show them where I lived and got to OC!!!!

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,370 Posts
Rehoboth Beach is crowded year round now, not just summer...but the summers are nuts. Driving is insane; and hour to go 5 miles...stop and go.
Lots of new construction and lots of remodeling. Most of the folks are retired from new Jersey. Lots of gays, so that tells you there is money.
Check into it further before you make the leap. I travel through 2-3 times a week and all I see are commercial vehicles for construction, plumbing, electrical and such.

Don't have a clue about the schools.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robie said:
Rehoboth Beach is crowded year round now, not just summer...but the summers are nuts. Driving is insane; and hour to go 5 miles...stop and go. Lots of new construction and lots of remodeling. Most of the folks are retired from new Jersey. Lots of gays, so that tells you there is money. Check into it further before you make the leap. I travel through 2-3 times a week and all I see are commercial vehicles for construction, plumbing, electrical and such. Don't have a clue about the schools.
Coming from New York City we live parkways . There not highways of fast travel .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cool area, no sales tax. Dewey beach just south is a cool beach town. Lots of work in Ocean City MD year round. Fenwick Island and Bethany beach have a lot of $$ from the Washington DC area. (Tons of upper class vacation homes.)

Not sure how licensing is for contracting but I do know there is great tax advantage to owning a business or retiring in DE.

Summers are eventful to say the least. Golfing,boating,fishing, nightlife etc. in the coastal area.

As for midland DE, not much but farms, flatland and waterfowl.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Economy seems to be pretty good there. One of our developer customers has a few developments going on there now. They are buying bank owned properties and getting them back up and running. Like others have said there is money there from d.c, Baltimore all over md, bunch of pa and nj people own property as well. Can't speak to how many contractors are there though. Our family has a townhouse in fenwick. There is a ton of traffic in the summer though.

I posted in another thread about the sticker you can buy there "LSD" in one of those little ovals. Lower slower Delaware!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I lived in the Wilmington Newark area for 7 years. I liked it but was a little crowded and such.

I visit fenwick island once a year or so. There's money there.

Rehobeth is about 30-45 min north. It's a common family vacation area, shopping area, and many retired folks. Overall not a bad town. Dewey Beach and Lewes are nearby, more of a party beach area.

Any beach area= money. How much of it is being spent on construction, I can't tell you. I would look into it further before diving in. Check with the chamber of commerce, code office, SBA, and others to see what you can learn. DE is not a bad spot, but I'm not too much of a beach guy...especially ones so far north. If I'm at the beach, I don't want a winter season.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
There is work in rehoboth, but its not a ton. Commercial work is slow and has been for over a year now. they overbuilt and its just now catching up.
There is residential remodeling work out there, but you gotta find it cause theres enough guys doing work to snatch it up quick. New construction is all tract homes, mostly Schnell (how ever its spelled) so to be a sub you have to be super fast and cheap. quality is 2nd tier as long as it will look good enough with paint on it.
The other thing is the pay scale less down there, and the cost to live at the beach is really high so you have to live up in the farm land and drive it.

Up here above the canal its about the same work wise, there is some commercial fit out work and home remodeling. New houses is pretty slow and commercial jobs are pretty dead right now. commercial always lags behind residential so they are just now getting into the period residential had 2 years ago.
New homes are also all tract for toll brothers or ryan homes. there is not much of it.
The university has a huge boom the past 3 years for housing but that is slowing down already. They are all rental town houses, so its the same deal, who ever can do it the cheapest wins.
The university itself was busy until last year when it just up and stopped doing projects. Things are improving in the residential market, but it will be a little bit before the commercial catches back up.

As far as living, its pretty nice here. The state is 3 counties, Newcastle, Kent, and Sussex. NC is where most of us live, and Sussex is the beach basicly. The nickname is Slower Lower, and there is a line you cross going from dover to the beach where it becomes southern, its more relaxed and slower. The summers at the beach are nuts cause everyone from DC and up north has vacation homes there and are there every weekend. If you go, check out Dewey Beach. its a small skinny patch of land between the ocean and bay, and its awesome. very chill laid back attitude with plenty of bars and stuff, and all with in walking distance.

good luck with everything!

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chris klee said:
There is work in rehoboth, but its not a ton. Commercial work is slow and has been for over a year now. they overbuilt and its just now catching up. There is residential remodeling work out there, but you gotta find it cause theres enough guys doing work to snatch it up quick. New construction is all tract homes, mostly Schnell (how ever its spelled) so to be a sub you have to be super fast and cheap. quality is 2nd tier as long as it will look good enough with paint on it. The other thing is the pay scale less down there, and the cost to live at the beach is really high so you have to live up in the farm land and drive it. Up here above the canal its about the same work wise, there is some commercial fit out work and home remodeling. New houses is pretty slow and commercial jobs are pretty dead right now. commercial always lags behind residential so they are just now getting into the period residential had 2 years ago. New homes are also all tract for toll brothers or ryan homes. there is not much of it. The university has a huge boom the past 3 years for housing but that is slowing down already. They are all rental town houses, so its the same deal, who ever can do it the cheapest wins. The university itself was busy until last year when it just up and stopped doing projects. Things are improving in the residential market, but it will be a little bit before the commercial catches back up. As far as living, its pretty nice here. The state is 3 counties, Newcastle, Kent, and Sussex. NC is where most of us live, and Sussex is the beach basicly. The nickname is Slower Lower, and there is a line you cross going from dover to the beach where it becomes southern, its more relaxed and slower. The summers at the beach are nuts cause everyone from DC and up north has vacation homes there and are there every weekend. If you go, check out Dewey Beach. its a small skinny patch of land between the ocean and bay, and its awesome. very chill laid back attitude with plenty of bars and stuff, and all with in walking distance. good luck with everything!
Where do you do most of your work . We're you born there or moved there . Is there a slow season .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts