Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBB

and/or

A national painting professionals organization simalar to the NGPP.

We would like to hear some of your experiances with these sort of organizations as far as the benefits and detriments to your business.

I would like to join one or more of these organizations because I think it will look good to our potential customers. Is the cost worth the status ($330 per year for the BBB)? Obviosly both allow you to put their logo on your trucks, business cards and yellow pages adds etc.

thanks guys
-joe

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
While I think the BBB is a great marketing tool to promote your trustworthyness to the consumer, I also believe it is total bull kaka. Anyone with the $750 membership fee can join. They protect their members, and the bottom line is anyone can have a complaint member or not.

Unless you are going to market the BBB logo on all your marketing material, don't bother joining. I worked for a large company and part of my job was answering the phones and they only got one or two leads... not worth the marketing bucks IMO.

After saying all that, I will say I do plan on joining one day. I plan on joining becuase the CONSUMER belive the BBB is a good thing. The consumer is brain washed. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I'll play off the propogando for my own advancement.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You spoke of the NAHB, that's home builders. If you are a painter, can you join. I have joined the National Roofing Contractor's Association(NRCA) and it was worth every penny IMO. In the training material, the sample saftey and fall programs... the ongoing FREE support via phone or e-mail... It's worth every penny.

Not the mention the NRCA is currently working with members of congress and the senate to A) remove the estate death tax and B) lower the depreciation of roofing from 30 something years down to 20 years which is more realistic. Companies are depreciating their roofs long after they have been replaced, and end up depreciating two roofs at one time! Insanity! Thanks you NRCA.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree 100%. The only reason we would join is to be able to put their logo on our trucks and business cards and website, they pull a lot of weight.

All that other stuff they offer seams like filler to me as if they want you to feel you are getting more bang for your bucks.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grumpy said:
You spoke of the NAHB, that's home builders. If you are a painter, can you join. I have joined the National Roofing Contractor's Association(NRCA) and it was worth every penny IMO. In the training material, the sample saftey and fall programs... the ongoing FREE support via phone or e-mail... It's worth every penny.

Not the mention the NRCA is currently working with members of congress and the senate to A) remove the estate death tax and B) lower the depreciation of roofing from 30 something years down to 20 years which is more realistic. Companies are depreciating their roofs long after they have been replaced, and end up depreciating two roofs at one time! Insanity! Thanks you NRCA.
I meant a group simalar to the NAHB but for painters... I couldn't find their website at the time I posted and can't remember their official name. Perhaps it would be better to just join one that deals with our industry? Would it hold as much water as the BBB?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Also check out the NAPP.

Word is they can do good things for the business side of your company.

While I think the BBB is a great marketing tool to promote your trustworthyness to the consumer, I also believe it is total bull kaka. Anyone with the $750 membership fee can join. They protect their members, and the bottom line is anyone can have a complaint member or not.
I agree 100%.

The fact that they take your cash, but don't allow you to use their logo or name anywhere on your paperwork is what turned me off to them.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ProWallGuy said:
Also check out the NAPP.

Word is they can do good things for the business side of your company.
thats the one I was looking for earlier today, thanks.

ProWallGuy said:
I agree 100%.

The fact that they take your cash, but don't allow you to use their logo or name anywhere on your paperwork is what turned me off to them.
The rep I talked to on the phone today said that the BBB allows you to put their logo on your trucks and in your adds. they also have a directory, simalar to the yellow pages that they put out at HD, Walmart, Pick & Save, etc. Although I have never seen one...

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm not a painter but I slap a shiny NRCA sticker on all my roofing proposals. Does it give me the upper hand over some low ball competitors? Sure, but just a little bit. I get one or two leads per year from the NRCA also, since I am listed on their site and I plan to renew my membership once it expires. I did join them primarily for the actual and real benefits they provide to their members.

As far as the BBB goes, I do plan to join, but not until account tells me to spend some money to reduce my taxation. When will that happen? Who knows, but it will happen.

LOL a guy from the BBB called me the other day and I hung up on him 20 seconds into his sales pitch. They are on my schedule, not me on theirs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Grumpy indeed, lol!

The reason I just joined this forum is because I wanted to host my own forums for subcontractors.

It was plain to me that my personal reasons for wanting to do that was not being served by trade associations. From my perspective, they are too expensive, and they ultimately hold you hostage by commandeering your needs. But their power to lobby lawmakers is useful, and is probably what costs the most.

I got nothing against them, they do good things for all of us, but forums like this have great potential.

Interesting that good ideas, like this site, are already taken. If I can, I'd like to be as helpful as possible.

Great site!

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the boards GCMan.

GCMan said:
From my perspective, they are too expensive, and they ultimately hold you hostage by commandeering your needs.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that, could you explain what you mean by commandeering your needs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts