Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience? recommended resources?? I'd like to convert my home to partial (of full if I could!) solar. I'd also interested in expanding my company in this direction if I can do to my home without much trouble. I'd love to hear from folks that have dabbled in this area.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
are you counting on rebates to help finance the project? are they avalible in your state?
some states require a certified installer to qualify for rebates
without them solar will have a very long payback

check your states solar program,thats where you probably should start

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
are you counting on rebates to help finance the project? are they avalible in your state?
some states require a certified installer to qualify for rebates
without them solar will have a very long payback

check your states solar program,thats where you probably should start
I actually have been looking into this for some time now with a current client and potential partner (for the solar) who is a very good businessman.

Kind of got the whole certification/training side worked out as far as what is needed to take and yes we would be banking on the rebates as well as volume buying on components.

Current problem is this technology is still evolving and not too many people are ready to embrace it as well as the initial outlay of $ for a system but we may have gotten that licked too :shifty:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I actually have been looking into this for some time now with a current client and potential partner (for the solar) who is a very good businessman.

Kind of got the whole certification/training side worked out as far as what is needed to take and yes we would be banking on the rebates as well as volume buying on components.

Current problem is this technology is still evolving and not too many people are ready to embrace it as well as the initial outlay of $ for a system but we may have gotten that licked too :shifty:

Please correct me if I am wrong but, here in the northeast going solar is bit of a stretch to make it economically practical.

I have done a little solar but it was for a specific project for an isolated cabin with no utility power on site. It was understood going forward it would meet the goal of not listening to the generator running for the evening and still provide power for lights, tv, microwave, etc. The cabin was only used every couple of months or so and at hunting season.

It had a sizable price tag and of course there really was never going to be a payback. Just pleasurable silence. :thumbup:

In my humble opinion "going solar" at this latitude would be a personal desire to be off the grid totally and a full time job to keep it running to maximum performance. Oh and not to mention a lot of disposable cash.

Having the latter would be most important aspect when dealing with someone who wants to install and purchase solar in the northeast. Southwest is a whole different thought process.

Good luck,

Les

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
one of the biggest consumers of solar power technology is Germany
about the same lat/long as here in N.J.
wonder if they know something we dont?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I used to fit Solar heating in the UK and i can tell you now that it was a very good system to keep your domestic hot water hot all day. The smallest system we did would keep a 80 gallon cylinder hot all day everyday. With a 200ft run of 10mm pipe on insulated black panels you could put cold water in one end and it would come out the other end over 65c and that was on a semi sunny day. In the US it would work even better but so far i aint seen any systems that looked as good as the ones we used in the UK. I also heard the price of Solar panels was going to be dropping soon because of new ways to make the panels so might be worth looking into that also.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

Ya, dumkauff, das vether!!!! Ya?????

No actually I don't know why.

Bigger government subsidies, (paid for by US aid dollars :shutup:)

Much higher cost of energy that make solar more affordable??

Good point of discussion. Maybe we should send some of our senators over to find out. Ya das is goot!!

Les

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
solar water heating is probably where you will find the most bang for your buck

even then it really pales in comparison to installing ultra high efficiency units

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
You don't mention what kind of solar.

There's electrician solar (photovoltaic)
There's plumbers solar (hot water heating)
There's masons solar (heat-sink massing)
There's designers solar (putting the correct windows in the correct places)
There's mechanical solar (bead walls)

They all have their place but they are certainly different trades.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great topic, I too have been thinking about getting myself into solar systems, as a matter of fact I will be taking some classes this semester coming up to learn the install part as well as more or less a better understanding with the design side of it. I will keep everyone informed as to what vital info. I will learn.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Anybody have experience? recommended resources?? I'd like to convert my home to partial (of full if I could!) solar. I'd also interested in expanding my company in this direction if I can do to my home without much trouble. I'd love to hear from folks that have dabbled in this area.
I'm totally with you on this! Do it, I think it's a great direction to be heading these days.

I'd be very intersted to know who to get certs from or what is required...Also a niche market I had in mind, but pet furiniture is more feasible for my knowledge and finances:rolleyes:

It might be worth looking into being a certified dealer for a certain manufacturer....possibly there are more manufacturer rebates to advertise/specialize in certain systems. Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
the cost of the panels going down is about 3-5% per year
the silicon is basically the same type that computers use
the crystalline form which is the most efficient,uses tremendous
energy to produce

other types cost less but are way less efficient

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I know a little about solar.
I installed or serviced over 1500 systems yes that is the correct number in the 80's
I am currently in the solar business again.

As an introduction to solar if you want to install it for your own home I would reccomend starting with a hot water system. This is the biggest bang for your dollar.
An installed system runs from about 8k to 10k
They are sized on the number of people living in the house.
For a list of State, local and federal incentives go to www.dsireusa.org
To get an idea of the energy savings from one go to
http://www.eaglesunsystem.com/estimator.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ive looked this stuff up before for personal reasons... Its not economical at all.. If you want to fully power your home with solar, you're looking at 40-60k.... There are not a lot out there that can front something like this. Other good options are wind, that is if you are serious about reducing energy cost straight out of the gate.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Latitude maybe but way off on the longitude

Bert
what parts are evolving?
Photovoltaics are still evolving. There are basically two types hard cells and thin film. hard cells are more efficient about 18% most thin film is much lower about 10-13%. There are some new thin film thchnologies that will hit the market in the next few years that will bring the cost of cells down dramatically while boosting efficiency.
there is one manufacturer already on line with the new thin film but currently only producing panels for electric utilities.
the cost of the panels going down is about 3-5% per year
the silicon is basically the same type that computers use
the crystalline form which is the most efficient,uses tremendous
energy to produce

other types cost less but are way less efficient
HOT WATER IS THE BEST VALUE OF ALL THE SOLAR TECHNOLOGIES.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
ah yea thanks Nap was never good in geography
i was referring to pv,[see post 10]

ill believe the great leap in efficiency when i see it

the solar pv band wagon has been rollin for awhile now, better hurry and get on

just understand there are some big players out there already

1 - 20 of 32 Posts