Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 4501 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
8,841 Posts
Real roller coaster of emotion today.

I had a meeting at 9am, which I was supposed to attend alone. Unfortunately, my wife and kid didn't wake up to the alarm while I was in the shower, so I got saddled with a 3 year old.
Took him to the meeting and he was awesome, praise Jesus.

Went to drop him off at daycare and everything officially goes to hell when the truck won't start in the rain. All the WD40 in the world wasn't getting me out of this and after half an hour I have up. Went next door to my wife's work and stole her car from her, then loaded it up with tools. I tell you what, an Impala's trunk is nearly the size of a full size van. Truly impressive.
Even more impressive is that I remembered every single tool I needed to complete the job while changing cars in the rain.

So, I hated all of that, but are you ready for the turn?

I'm now sitting in the pub with a pint, watching college basketball, and grinning ear to ear because that morning meeting I went to was the entrance interview to get my kid into my town's free pre-k. No more daycare as of this September.
With the money I'm saving, my wife and I can get matching Range Rovers.
Also, NM St. Can't hit free throws and my bracket is remains un-busted.

·
8,841 Posts
:eek:
My God, what are you paying in daycare?

For that kind of coin, I'd be playing Mister Mom!

D.
We just call it "Dad" in our house. :thumbsup:

Our daycare is actually pretty cheap. A flat $1,000 monthly for one kid.

It works out that I'm still making money, but it's sort of like running a race with a small person clinging to one of your legs trying to prevent you from finishing.
After the time I took off, it took too long to get the wheels of business turning again. It's almost worth it to work 1 day a week if you have to, just to stay in the mix.

Range Rovers was a joke. Way too impractical. Twin Benz's though... Sprinter and a C Class?

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Real roller coaster of emotion today.

I had a meeting at 9am, which I was supposed to attend alone. Unfortunately, my wife and kid didn't wake up to the alarm while I was in the shower, so I got saddled with a 3 year old.
Took him to the meeting and he was awesome, praise Jesus.

Went to drop him off at daycare and everything officially goes to hell when the truck won't start in the rain. All the WD40 in the world wasn't getting me out of this and after half an hour I have up. Went next door to my wife's work and stole her car from her, then loaded it up with tools. I tell you what, an Impala's trunk is nearly the size of a full size van. Truly impressive.
Even more impressive is that I remembered every single tool I needed to complete the job while changing cars in the rain.

So, I hated all of that, but are you ready for the turn?

I'm now sitting in the pub with a pint, watching college basketball, and grinning ear to ear because that morning meeting I went to was the entrance interview to get my kid into my town's free pre-k. No more daycare as of this September.
With the money I'm saving, my wife and I can get matching Range Rovers.
Also, NM St. Can't hit free throws and my bracket is remains un-busted.
NM State was my only bust of the first eight. One measly point!!

·
8,841 Posts
I feel so bad for that poor kid that missed 2/3 from the line to effectively lose the game.

I probably couldn't tie my shoes in that situation.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Leasing can be fully deducted business expense depending on the vehicle
I have leased trucks where at the end of the lease I have them $1 and kept the truck
cost of money is cost of money. to get a vehicle for $1, you had to.

1. put a sheet pile of money up front

2. make crazy lease payments.

3. lease it for an ungodly amount of time.

last couple of work vehicles i bought, was damn near able to write them off first year

·
Administrator
44,112 Posts
Why am I and other taxpayers paying for your childcare?
You're not. You are paying for their education. Day care is implied because their are other adults taking care of someone else's children.

Would you consider a 5th grader going to school as day care?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts

last couple of work vehicles i bought, was damn near able to write them off first year
wrong, no money up front, lease payments were the same as purchase payments, 5 year lease, 40k miles a year. Business expense just like a hammer

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Leasing can be fully deducted business expense depending on the vehicle
I have leased trucks where at the end of the lease I have them $1 and kept the truck
That's what I do, it's the same as financing but you have a linear write-off vs a weighted one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

A commercial lease and financing costs you exactly the same amount, a lease just allows you to keep a balloon at the end if you wish and have a linear write-off.

No damn diff.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
from the link

The determination to purchase or lease a vehicle depends largely on each individual small business, and their current cash balance and year-to-date profitability. Business owners with higher profitability ($100,000 or more) should purchase because of the ability to use section 179 as a deduction. A truck that costs $40,000 with an estimated salvage value of $5,000 would give the business owner a deduction of $35,000 in the year of purchase

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
from the link

The determination to purchase or lease a vehicle depends largely on each individual small business, and their current cash balance and year-to-date profitability. Business owners with higher profitability ($100,000 or more) should purchase because of the ability to use section 179 as a deduction. A truck that costs $40,000 with an estimated salvage value of $5,000 would give the business owner a deduction of $35,000 in the year of purchase
We can't do that here, only 30 or 50 percent max in the first year of purchase.

Unless it's a windfall year wouldn't you prefer a linear write-off?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
A really cool customer from a couple of years ago with a chit load of gutter wants to put the high end covers on his gutters

Hate that he fell off his roof last fall cleaning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3701 - 3720 of 4501 Posts