Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just me and our area here, or are things picking up a bit out there?

We start an egress window install this week, and have appointments for other jobs to bid pretty much all week.

I think there might be a glimmer of hope on the horizon with the stock market coming back and house values creeping up again.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm still reading a lot of bad news but the recession has been over for me for three months. If I hadn't been through a very, very long slow spell I couldn't tell the summer of 2008 from the summer of 2009.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I've had to hire a helper and I'm still working six days a week. Too much work!
I think the experts might suggest you raise your prices to offset the busyness.

------------------------------

My business was born a month ago and I am pretty much working 4-5 days a week. I can only imagine how great it'll be when unemployment starts decreasing and people start going back to work and buying houses. There is definitely work out there to be had.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
This is typically All-out Frantic Time. If you're just "busy", that should be a clue.

IMO we have at least a year or two before things get back to normal, whatever that is. I wouldn't put the shekels down on a yacht quite yet.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
My business was born a month ago and I am pretty much working 4-5 days a week.
Mag, I hope and pray for your sake that I'm wrong, but there's a good chance that you're flying on New Guy business right now. Friends, relatives and business acquaintances are always up for helping you out in the beginning. Give it 1-2 years and you'll have a much more realistic picture of exactly where you really stand in the grand scheme.

If you're still flourishing then, I'll allow you to hire me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my world, which is job boards, we're seeing that the amount of workers looking for jobs far exceeds the amount of jobs available. However, in the last couple of months, it's gone slightly in the other direction where we're receiving some more job postings from employers. Hopefully it's a good sign of things to come in the fall.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The only thing picking up is the pace to get projects done in time for the paver. Asphalt plants will be shutting down in two and a half months, so everyone is in the last stretch, firing up the last pavement jobs as we speak. Unfortunately for our civil division, it looks like we just fired up our last project of the year, and this one will only last 2-3 weeks. Now if the environmental side would pick up, things would be all right. We have a measly 4 million dollars of work committed for the fourth quarter, unfortunately, none of the customers are ready to come off that work and let us go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts