Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few months back I arrive at a home (crown job) and begin unloading my saw etc. At the house was a little kid I think about 5 or so. Anyway around the house comes a cute little dog, not sure of the breed, one of those friendly little mutts.

I ask the kid "what's your dog's name" and without skipping a beat the kids says "his name is sh**head" LOL wtf???

so here comes the mom, red faced and says to me his father knows better than to speak like that in front of the kids.

Kid "but mom Dad says that the dog is like uncle Frank, he's a usless sh**head" so mom scoots the kid into the house. She comes out later with coffee and says that her brother really is a bit lazy.

I met the uncle a few days later, yup - Dad's got it right. stoner at 40 years old. no job, world picks on him blah blah blah

I'm not sure why the dog got that nickname though.

·
Kowboy
2,471 Posts
I was being "supervised" by a 3-year-old one morning; his hands on his hips. You always have more authority as a boss when you're wearing pants, however, and your mother doesn't admonish you to put them on.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
So one of my employees ( 50 year old guy) was tarring a basement the other day and this neighbor kid (7-8 years old) comes up to the edge of the excavation and watches for a minute- after a bit he says to my employee "do you have to do this because you didn't go to collage?" Lol - you know the kids mom had to be pointing at my guy from in her house tellin this kid "that's what's gonna happen to you if you don't stay in school" lol :)

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
So one of my employees ( 50 year old guy) was tarring a basement the other day and this neighbor kid (7-8 years old) comes up to the edge of the excavation and watches for a minute- after a bit he says to my employee "do you have to do this because you didn't go to collage?" Lol - you know the kids mom had to be pointing at my guy from in her house tellin this kid "that's what's gonna happen to you if you don't stay in school" lol :)
If people only knew the truth. In a lot of cases, it should be "If you play your cards right, you can be doing that and making more money than a college graduate". :whistling

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
The interesting thing is that you can always tell what people are saying behind your back and how much they like you based on how their kids act and what they say.

Many years ago I was renting a room in my friend's basement. I got to a point where I had no business, no money, and no prospects.. and after 3 months of not paying him any rent money, he was fed up with me.

His girlfriend had a very precocious 6-year-old son who would follow me around the house and ask me questions. So one day he asked, "Do you work Mr. Ted? Why don't you have any money? Mr. Ted are you moving soon? What does evic-u-ation mean Mr. Ted? Mr. Ted? Are you mad at Mr. Jack? Why do people put mattresses and sofas in front of their house when they move Mr. Ted?" :blink:

Ohhh.. so Mommy has been talking... what else has she been saying? "Hey Timmy... would you like some candy?"

By the time Timmy's mother came downstairs to see what her son was up to, he was telling me much more than I really should have known. The look on her face was priceless.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
you know it!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The interesting thing is that you can always tell what people are saying behind your back and how much they like you based on how their kids act and what they say.

Many years ago I was renting a room in my friend's basement. I got to a point where I had no business, no money, and no prospects.. and after 3 months of not paying him any rent money, he was fed up with me.

His girlfriend had a very precocious 6-year-old son who would follow me around the house and ask me questions. So one day he asked, "Do you work Mr. Ted? Why don't you have any money? Mr. Ted are you moving soon? What does evic-u-ation mean Mr. Ted? Mr. Ted? Are you mad at Mr. Jack? Why do people put mattresses and sofas in front of their house when they move Mr. Ted?" :blink:

Ohhh.. so Mommy has been talking... what else has she been saying? "Hey Timmy... would you like some candy?"

By the time Timmy's mother came downstairs to see what her son was up to, he was telling me much more than I really should have known. The look on her face was priceless.
After 3 months of not paying rent I bet they said much worse things.

Reactions: eddy051

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I was a young cement finisher, one day found us doing a curb wall around a 7/11. It was hot and we poured late and ended up working our asses off stripping and rubbing the wall. When we got done, we threw out tools in a bucket of water and headed into the sev for a big gulp. When we came out, there was this 8 yo kid standing there with a nail in his hand and he says "You guys better hurry-it's almost too hard to write your names in!"
:censored::censored::censored:

·
Super Moderator
28,896 Posts
Dig your sig line, Pritch. Lol

Reactions: marcsmith

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
A little girl was sitting on the stairs watching me work. After a while she said, "You work really hard, you should have been a policeman like my dad."

·
Registered
5,170 Posts

There is an old saying "when the child speaks,all shall be silent,for out of the mouth of babes come words of wisdom" :laughing:

·
Registered
5,855 Posts

I'm glad you're doing better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im very carefull in the winter and only been sick once in 6yrs, last winter I was drywalling a room addition and this cute lil kid was watching me and tellin me stories. After about 2 hrs she sneezed and coughed, I said (suzie) are you catching a cold hun? She said no but my brother was up puking ALL night...:eek::blink:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
About 2-3 years ago, after the family took all the items out of their kitchen for a remodel, a girl maybe 10 or so couldn't find the phone.

She told her mom that she thought that there should be some kind of way to attach it to the wall so everyone would always know where it was.:laughing:

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
My best one was when I asked a 3 or 4 year old where her mommy was because I had a question. Her answer was " she is in the pottie with her friend, I'll go get her " and she takes off.

A couple of minutes later her mother finds me and looks mighty disheveled and apparently the "friend" was a regular visitor. She always asked what time I went for lunch on wednesdays and how long I would be, then I got the hint. And it did not bother her that I knew what was going on because her husband was real AH.

Never question any of my bills, never wanted an estimate, paid promptly, great customer

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was doing an installation and the shop owners wife was hanging around talking to me while I worked. A boy about five that belonged to one of their employees comes over, hangs around for a few min and then asks " you guys want to hear a story about my mom?" "No thanks" we both reply. To which he counters "But there not all scary!"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts