Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some weird things customers have told you about other contractors?

For example, I had a customer once tell me that he said, "the bill is going to be $500 more because my a/c took a crap and that's what the bill was for it":no:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Last year around Christmas time, we were remodeling 3 bathrooms at a house on the lake. The homeowner jokingly asked me when our Christmas party was. This question led into a story about the previous year when they had the complete exterior of the house painted by a local paint crew. The crew decided to have their christmas party at the h/o's house. The h/o came home from work to find not only the crew that was working on their house, but several crews ranging from sheetrockers / mudmen / and other painters.

The way she described it, can't be matched by me. They were cooking in her kitchen , eating their food , drinking their wine/beer , sitting around their dining room table, and they all invited their wives/girlfriends.

The kicker is they didn't even act strange when she showed up at home.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
H.O.: "I can't believe all of this exterior work is costing me almost $50,000.00".

Me: "$50,000.00? Ummm, the proposal and final bill came in for just under $20,000.00...where are you getting this extra $30,000.00?"

H.O.: "Well, another $30,000.00 for my daughters wedding...all of this work wouldn't have had to be done if she wasn't getting married."

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Did a job few months back, no plans ,make it up as we go(homeowner). No idea what she was doing but thought she did. Filthy rich.
Well, 90 hours later plus materials,when I gave her my bill she says to me"I wish I had an estimate first".:blink:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,716 Posts
The customer brought all the subs together for a meeting and said to us all:

"No on is going to get paid until the project is complete."

You should have heard the snickering and laughing. Needless to say, nothing got done that day and the HO was reminded that no pay = no work. I got paid when I was suppose to. The job was 8 months long.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a customer tell me that when he goes into to work he does not get any money to start work and he does not get paid till weeks later . So There is no reason that I need any money when I first start.

I asked him if he had to buy his materials out of his pocket at work to do his job.

Needles to say he never got a bid from me.

Mark

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The customer brought all the subs together for a meeting and said to us all:

"No on is going to get paid until the project is complete."

You should have heard the snickering and laughing. Needless to say, nothing got done that day and the HO was reminded that no pay = no work. I got paid when I was suppose to. The job was 8 months long.

Dude just walked out of that meeting without a scratch huh? :whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,716 Posts
He had some interesting ideas on how to get people motivated. One of them was if I pay you at the end of the job you will work hard to reach that goal quicker. But it wasn't fair to any of the guys that come in at the beginning of the job and complete their work. And he had a hard time understanding that the sheet rocker wanted to get paid after he was done, not after the crown was run and all the walls were painted. We straightened him out pretty quick when no one showed for a few days.

Most of my work was done on an invoicing schedule. The wife was notorious for not being able to make her mind up and when I would show her a 3D drawing she would have a hard time comprehending it. She could only see things in her head after they were on the wall and full scale. Not a way to try to save money. After handing them something like the 5th invoice, and seeing the eyeballs pop they wanted to do it on a firm price contract. I was fine with that but then told them that any and all changes would be charged for, a substantial down payment would be required. When I explained to them if they took a $1000 item out of the project I would be charging them $75 to do this they sort of flipped. They couldn't understand why I would charge them for doing less work. They couldn't wrap their minds around the fact that things have a plan, and when the plan gets changed time is wasted. I even told them that $75 was cheap by most standards. The wouldn't believe me.

All I know is I got paid, and I know a few that didn't.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
My favorite all time best was after a HO noticed a reflection of silicone that was securing her mirror to the frame, and it was actually a legitimate problem that the cabinet maker fixed..She said "I don't like what the mirror reflects"

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
#2 runner up:
(Full Kitchen Remodel) "Can you be kind of discreet, I want to surprise my husband when it is done". (And yes he lived there and as a homeowner she signed the contract legally. It turned out great, and he actually knew what she was up to all the time...Rich guy but very cool) Luckily

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
Two days ago.....

Me: " Balance is due upon completion"

HO: "WOW, you want your money right away!"

·
4,617 Posts
Why does my wife have to be naked to get an accurate height measurement?
She doesn't, but my old Stanley seems to stand up better that way, making it easier to hold. Go figure.

·
Registered
810 Posts
We installed 3 large mirrors on the ceiling... over the homeowners bed. It took a designer, electricians, mirror people, painters and us to complete this little project. The female half of this said, "So much for being discreet about it". She was nice looking too.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
We installed 3 large mirrors on the ceiling... over the homeowners bed. It took a designer, electricians, mirror people, painters and us to complete this little project. The female half of this said, "So much for being discreet about it". She was nice looking too.
At least she knows what she likes!!

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
how many cameras were put in behind those mirrors? :whistling

:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,716 Posts
She wants mirrors put up???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts