Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Thin stone 135 degree corners

5759 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  EthanB
How would you guys go about making a 135 degree outside corner joint with thinstone? I know some companies make them but not the ones from my regular supplier and there are a LOT of these corners. Its mosaic pattern.

The best I have been able to come up with is to take some of the larger pieces, cut them down the center(ish) and bevel both pieces so I can get a tight miter. It's probably unnecessary to do the split as long as I can get two pieces that are similar in height and color. To avoid a continuous grout line I would also do some corner butts :mad:. Will this look like total dogjob to anyone that doesn't work with stone? I figure I can keep the grout lines to less than 1/8" if I'm careful.
See less
How would you guys go about making a 135 degree outside corner joint with thinstone? I know some companies make them but not the ones from my regular supplier and there are a LOT of these corners. Its mosaic pattern.

The best I have been able to come up with is to take some of the larger pieces, cut them down the center(ish) and bevel both pieces so I can get a tight miter. It's probably unnecessary to do the split as long as I can get two pieces that are similar in height and color. To...
See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Yeah you have to have a seam. It wont look too horrible, its limited by the design.
Yeah you have to have a seam. It wont look too horrible, its limited by the design.
See more
After I posted this I went and looked at the manufacturer's website and half the product pics have a 135 degree corner where they just stagger the sides. I guess I'm over thinking it...:whistling

http://www.thinstones.com/projects/gallery.php
After I posted this I went and looked at the manufacturer's website and half the product pics have a 135 degree corner where they just stagger the sides. I guess I'm over thinking it...:whistling

http://www.thinstones.com/projects/gallery.php
See more
Cool some of those they just ran the stones past, no miter at all. Looks good, i like it.I dont get many of those corners.
Cool some of those they just ran the stones past, no miter at all. Looks good, i like it.I dont get many of those corners.
See more
I have six and the same angle on three casement windows. I can share some if you want to practice.:whistling

I don't usually do thin stone outside but the HO's are good, regular, customers and the exposed foundation on their house has been killing me. I was really hoping for square and rectangle but the mosaic will look a bit more like an authentic foundation in their area.
See less
I have six and the same angle on three casement windows. I can share some if you want to practice.:whistling

I don't usually do thin stone outside but the HO's are good, regular, customers and the exposed foundation on their house has been killing me. I was really hoping for square and rectangle but the mosaic will look a bit more like an authentic foundation in their area.
Cool some of those they just ran the stones past, no miter at all. Looks...
See more
You are a sick puppy.
Post pics :)
Reactions: JBM
You are a sick puppy.
Post pics :)
See more
it is what it is (thin stone). Live with it
it is what it is (thin stone). Live with it
See more
EthanB , where are you in RI?
See more
Cj I've been passin through your neck of the woods the last week shooting down rt9 to old lyme
Cj I've been passin through your neck of the woods the last week shooting down rt9 to old lyme
See more
I work in Old Lyme a lot. Were is your job, if you don't mind me asking? Or PM me the location.
I work in Old Lyme a lot. Were is your job, if you don't mind me asking? Or PM me the location.
See more
We're in point o woods
We're in point o woods
See more
This job is in Narragansett. I work the whole coast and up to Cranston over the course of a year.
This job is in Narragansett. I work the whole coast and up to Cranston over the course of a year.
See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.