Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bunch of new chimneys which are between 4-6' off the peak of the roof to wrap in thin brick. New construction. What are your experiences with track systems (like/dislike) and your thoughts on the pros and cons of using them. In the past I've used spacers and a trusty
Level

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
What brand of thin brick are you using? And do you ever have problems with it being glued on the webbing out of square? I just finished up 230 sq ft of wall using Brick Mills and it was so bad that I ended up peeling every single brick off the webbing and laying individually. Looked like a monkey had glued then to the webbing.

But to answer your question a crap ton of spacers and a good level is the best method I've found. It might just be me but thin brick seems to be one of the hardest tiles to work with on the market. About like laying recycled brick. Everyone is a slightly different size. :censored::no:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are kf Darby's. they come as individual brick and are fairly consistent in size. I've looked at a track system which is screwed to the surface and the brick are then placed inside the tracks which act as spacers. Not overly familiar with this system just lookin for pros and cons and to see if anyone recommends a different approach

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Sounds like it would work but how do you get the track back off? Or do you just leave it and grout over it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cut 1 inch strips of 3/8 plywood to length, level the bottom course with shims, and go to town. I try to keep the strips out a little so they can be removed easier

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
how thick are the brick?

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
then usually I will use a thinset then tuckpoint,

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
No idea about track systems.

were you around when Italian504 was here? He actually had a good idea once, he said lay to the line...why not? would be fast and as accurate as laying any other brick

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I was. This project when completed will have close to a 100 to do. Trying to work out the most efficient shatem

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
For a chimney, you don't need a line or a level, just slap them up as fast as you can butter them. You can eyeball them well enough for 20' up in the air.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Residential apartments very upscale. I will check that website out in a bit and get back to you thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Will keep you updated. Any other advice is appreciated as well

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
100 chimneys

:eek:

I did a small kitchen backsplash in thin brick back before Christmas. Homeowner put a picture on their facebook page. I've done 16 since and priced a couple more that I haven't heard from yet. Word of mouth advertising boys, it works. :thumbsup:

A little bit of advise. If you don't have one of these you need one. Tuck pointing with a trowel is for the birds.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Grout-Floats/Rubi-Joint-Applicator-For-Grout-Mortar

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Every time I see one of these posts about how a grout bag or the drill thing is faster than using a trowel and slicker I want to have a point-off. Points for joint compaction and cleanliness would be included

1 - 20 of 67 Posts